Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Egg...broken soul

nysportsfan
nysportsfan Posts: 241
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Never thought it would happen, but the large BGE I have is toast. I was moving it from one place to another and there must have been some stress in the nest...crack, split, and the bottom fell out. It literally looks like it was dropped, but it wasn't. Has this happened to others? I bought it from a dealer, will they replace it? I NEED to find this receipt (starting to look now, I know I kept it but where is the question). Is this part of the lifetime warranty?

It was like I was kicked in the gut (I sound like a bit of a loser)  but hey, this thing is freaking amazing.

Any suggestions? Pictures attached.

Comments

• Wow.....I would be sick too...I have only moved mine 3 times in 6 years.  My wife is scared to death i am going to drop it she forbids me to load up for mardi gras or take tailgating.

Sorry dude! 

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Well, I would hope your dealer has a record of the sale.  My dealer has records of every little thing I've ever bought from him.  As  for warrantee, I guess the only question is if you can convince the dealer and/or distributor that this truly occurred as you said it did.  I believe, but then again, I've never seen anything like that reported before.   Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Wow.....I would be sick too...I have only moved mine 3 times in 6 years.  My wife is scared to death i am going to drop it she forbids me to load up for mardi gras or take tailgating.

Sorry dude! 

Thanks man. I am hoping someone on here is a distributor and can advise me. I'm sick, and now I have to use my over for this perfect cut of prime rib I bought earlier today....
  • Well, I would hope your dealer has a record of the sale.  My dealer has records of every little thing I've ever bought from him.  As  for warrantee, I guess the only question is if you can convince the dealer and/or distributor that this truly occurred as you said it did.  I believe, but then again, I've never seen anything like that reported before.   Good luck!
    I agree, and I'm telling the truth. I don't know if it was from getting hot and cold pretty often or what. I know that I'm going to be pretty upset if they don't cover it.
  • Bummer!!  Were you using the handle to move egg?  If you have a good relationship with your dealer he should be able to help with the replacement.  Good luck and let us know the outcome.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I'm sick just lookin at it,Good luck Brother

LET'S EAT
  • nysportsfan, no, getting hot and cold is what the Egg is all about.  That thing must have been already defective.  I wonder if it got dropped before you got it.  Anyway,  nothing like that should have ever happened from anything you could have done wrong.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bummer!!  Were you using the handle to move egg?  If you have a good relationship with your dealer he should be able to help with the replacement.  Good luck and let us know the outcome.
    I noticed there was a vertical crack running about 2" from the bottom of the egg. When I went to shift the egg with both hands to get a better look (the door needed to be shifted over about half an inch anyway) there developed two hairline cracks running vertical up the egg. When I put the egg back in its place, the lower horizontal crack must've expanded and the whole bottom fell out onto my patio, and broke into pieces. It felt like I was punched in the gut. 

I just emailed Bruce Bohanon, explaining this as someone else did in the past, along with a scan of my receipt (not even a year old yet :( ) for help.

So bummed.
  • nysportsfan
    edited December 2011
    nysportsfan, no, getting hot and cold is what the Egg is all about.  That thing must have been already defective.  I wonder if it got dropped before you got it.  Anyway,  nothing like that should have ever happened from anything you could have done wrong.
    Yeah, I even kept my first several cooks very low temp as suggested by many here. I'm wondering if there was a crack there all along and I just saw it. I know that when I went to look, it expanded and all hell broke loose. 
  • http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134603/my-egg-is-cracked

Just saw risingjay's thread, and his cracked vertically first and they fixed it. It sounds like the warranty is great, I just hope they come through for me, too. 
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Ouch!!. I have an XL and I move it in its nest dozen times a year. However, I make sure I pull it and have my wife supporting it from the other side. One day i am going to put bigger wheels on it.
  • 2CanQ
    2CanQ Posts: 14
    Sorry to hear about what happened to you makes you sick to look at the photos.  I move my L & XL's all the time, but I made a cart that supports the whole bottom of each one.  I load them in my Toy Hauler and have traveled a lot of miles down the Highway.  After going over rough roads I am nervous when I open them up but so far I have not had a problem.  I haul them with everything inside too hope my luck holds out.  Good Luck
  • Just looking at the egg out there depresses me. I hope to hear a response from Bruce on Monday....
  • for NYSportsfan

I would be sick about this too.

Difficult to say what caused this other than a concealed stress crack when BGE was initially purchased.

I will say this. I think the BGE rolling nest is the weakest link in the overall product. A large BGE is top heavy for such a lightweight rolling nest that is provided for the egg.

Post back and let us know the results with your dealer.

Good Luck!
  • I know eggzactly how you feel and am very sorry this has happend.  But I do have to make one very strong suggestion, DO NOT REVMOVE THE EGG FROM THE NEST! 

Compare pics from my thread to yours you will see they look very very similar with the eggception of my bottom didn't blow out. 

Senerio #1, the egg fell over in the nest:

-  The top or edge would have a large chunk of "ceramic" missing and the bottom would't have blown out.

-  Egg would have fallen apart and putting back would be a challenge because the cracks would never line up the same and the green glaze would would have way more chips on either side of the cracks.

-  Your lid would have damage also.

Senerio #2, you took the egg out of the nest and droped it.

-  The only thing keeping your egg together is your NEST!  If you dropped it it would blow out the bottom and the egg would fall apart!

-  (See senerio #1)  Trying to put the egg back together after it falls apart would be a challange!  You will never get the cracks to line up and be as tight as they are in your pics!

I BELIEVE YOU!

After I got my replacement and took the bad Egg out of the nest it broke off in 3 pieces.  I tried to line the 3 pieces back up but noticed the crack didn't line up as well and the green glaze totally chipped on both sides of the crack.  The cracks don't line up as well because the white "ceramic stuff" flakes off creating noticable gaps as you try to put it back together.

This is why I say not to remove it from the nest yet.  Leave it in its undesturbed state so if they send someone out you can show them.  There are clues to look for if someone is trying to scam The Big Green Egg. 

I am positive you will get a replacement if you don't remove it from the nest.  Take pics from every angle and of the lid to show them you aren't hiding anything from view.

I know it's hard to but keep a positive outlook.  I KNOW they stand behing thier product. 

I would end this by saying good luck but I don't think you need it.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    welcome to the busted egg club......all the good cooks are members...........LOL.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nysportsfan
    edited December 2011
    Rising jay, I never thought about keeping it in the nest until I get the replacement. As I went to lift, it started to come apart so I immediately stopped and the bottom blew out. I will not move it at all, it will break into a few huge chunks. Never thought to keep it this way to "prove" anything although that makes sense. I'm hesitant to even try and bring it to the store as it will undoubtedly fall apart. The top of the egg is fine and reusable.

My brother made a good point (rare for him, ha) in that I've only had tthis thing for a year and already have eggcessories galore, spent a lot on bge stuff, cookbooks, etc. I'm not even 30 and anticipate using this for 40+ years so BGE stands to make a lot of money off me. You'd think sending me a replacement base might be a good business move, lol. I cook on this thing so often, I've basically forgotten how to cook this prime rib in my oven!
  • You and I are very alike eggcept I'm not a nysportsfan.....I'm a chitownsportsfan.

• Bruce came through and will replace my bottom bowl. Very happy with the bge company, thanks again!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That's great. Bruce is a  good egg.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • I have to roll mine out from under the porch every time I use it, maybe 20 ft. Is this a problem? I figured this is why the nest had wheels.
  • man that sucks... you dont have to cook the prime rib you could age it and when you get your new egg you will have one fine piece of meat to break it in with 8)

good luck on the replacement. 
  • glad you got a new base.  i was moving my medium late summer and the nest contracted at the X when it was rolling and it tipped over and cracked all the way from the vent to the hinge.  unfortunately my distributor wasn't convinced it was a fault of the nest and i had to throw down for another base and the new supporting cross bar for the nest.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

wow that was an awful day and long two weeks…

i guess that is enough self pity, but my recommendation is that if you move your egg and the nest isn't this years new model - invest in the cross bar to help stabilize the nest when moving

• The egg is going in a table soon enough, hoping this is a one time thing over the next forty years!
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I have seen the nest come loose and cose this before! This is why I check all my bolts before moving and always made sure the egg is sitting properly in the nest! I also remove the fire box and fire ring when moving so theres less strain on the nest!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    If you have to move it a lot put it in a table with caster which is a lot better then nest!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Looking at the pictures of that broken Egg does anyone else besides me think that it was dropped before it was ever put into the nest? Fracture lines arc across the impact area and emanate vertically suggesting having been dropped on edge, perhaps while in the shipping box. The vertical cracks became visible in the coating after thermal cycling and the impact area fell away from lack of support after the Egg was rotated. 
  • I have seen the nest come loose and cose this before! This is why I check all my bolts before moving and always made sure the egg is sitting properly in the nest! I also remove the fire box and fire ring when moving so theres less strain on the nest!
    Yeah, this wasn't a fall at all, I think a defect was there before purchase. 
  • Very happyfor ya!  I'm glad they honored it.  This company is great!