Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Rainbow Trout?

Options
joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Anyone smoke rainbow trout before?  I had some over the holiday that was outstanding and I thought I would try my hand at it.  What type of smoke wood would you choose?  I've cooked a ton of fish before on the Egg most of the time just using the Raging River rub from Dizzy Dust, but I have never smoked fish.  I would think that the fish would take on the smoke pretty good, so I don't want to over do it.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Was the fish you had cold or hot smoked? There is a huge difference
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • joe@bge
    Options
    Good question...I am not sure.  It was served as a appetizer with capers.  It was a small place and it didn't appear to have grill marks on the skin.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I've smoked many thousands of Rainbow Trout.......for the GA Mountain Fair. These were done "hot" on an offset cooker. I'd suggest using alder or applewood on the BGE at about 250*-275*. Pull them when they feel firm to the touch. These take about 45 minutes on our cooker, but, we're running at about 350*-400*.

• joe@bge
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I've smoked many thousands of Rainbow Trout.......for the GA Mountain Fair. These were done "hot" on an offset cooker. I'd suggest using alder or applewood on the BGE at about 250*-275*. Pull them when they feel firm to the touch. These take about 45 minutes on our cooker, but, we're running at about 350*-400*.

I was thinking applewood...I am pretty big on the fruit woods for most of my smoking.  What I am doing is filets - not whole fish - so I am guessing the time will be shortened.  I'll post results.  I think I am doing them for lunch today.