Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different question about my butt

Options
Onelick
Onelick Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in Pork

Hey Everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.  I have a medium Egg that I have done overnight cooks on before, but I have a unique problem that my previous searches have not produced any answers. I volunteered to cook a butt for New Years Eve, my problem is that I work the day before (24 hr shift) so I won't get off work until Sat morning. So cooking Fri night is out. My plan is to do the cook Wed night-Thurs afternoon/evening.  So my questions are:

Has anyone ever done a partial cook? Where I would do some of the cook Thurs morn-Thurs afternoon, then take it off, wrap in hdaf, let it cool, put in fridge, then put it back on the egg Sat morn and finish the cook and be ready to eat Sat eve?

Or,

Should I just stick to my plan and do the whole cook Wed-Thurs, wrap in hdaf, keep whole, then warm it up in the oven Sat afternoon, then pull it?

Thanks for your help.

Onelick

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options

Depending on when New year's Eve you need the finished product-search "fast pulled pork" here and if nothing found try the search at greeneggers.com .  Cooks the butt at relatively high temps, around 300-350*F on the dome with excellent results.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    Cook a few days ahead of time and pull. They're hard to pull cold. Re-heating a whole one takes a lot longer than warming up pulled meat. Besides, you've rendered most of the fat out of it on the initial cook so you'll be drying out the outer meat while trying to get the center warmed up. People use all kinds of liquids like coke or apple juice to warm it up. I use low salt chicken stock. If you have an oven available you can sauce the pulled pork in an aluminum pan, cover and heat. If you have a food saver you can put the bags of pulled pork in a pot of simmering water and sauce when heated. 
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    edited December 2011
    Options

Are you a firefighter? Take the egg to the Fire Hall and cook it there!  Better cook extra though.

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Onelick
    Options

tfoutch, Yes I am. But where I work, is in an area where we can't let anything outside, including the mops we use for the truck room floor! So, there's no place for me to cook. Also I couldn't figure out a way to transport a lit Egg half an hour back home to finish to cook. Some good news with all this mess is that I finally heard back from one of the guys on the other shift and he's going to do a night side trade with me, so I'll have off Friday night. Problem solved!! Thanks Andy!!

Thanks for all your responses everyone.

Onelick