Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Cooking without a Plate Setter?

Ragtop99
Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
edited December 2011 in Root
Fairly new Egg owner here.  I'm getting ready to do a 18lb turkey in an Xlg.  I don't have the plate setter, but could go out and buy it.  I did an 8lb chicken on a V-rack sitting in a pan and it turned out great.  What am I missing by not getting the plate setter and just doing the turkey the same way as the chicken?
Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    a roasting pan is a direct setup, just add water during the cook to prevent the drippings from burning in the pan. it does help to create a second barrier, pan sitting over a pan, firebricks, pizza stone etc. and lift the roasting pan off the barrier with an air space, but just keeping liquid in the pan will work. i have never bought a platesetter, i would if i needed better heat retention for cooking breads at high temps but i dont cook enough bread.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hi Fishless -

Can you describe how you cook without the platesetter? Do you pictures of your setup?

I've been to firend's places to show them how to use their BGE's - but if they do not have a platesetter, and they wanted me to show them how to do ribs - how do you in-direct cook without the platesetter?

I tried using what they had on-hand - not much, so I have tried mounding the lump in a sort of ring in the bottom of the firebox, and using an aluminum pie plate on the bottom as sort of drip pan.

This never works - the pan melts!

Ragtop -

I think the platesetter is a mandatory accessory for the BGE, since it enables in-direct cooking. But I'd like to see what Fishlessman says - he has a ton of Eggsperience.

Cheers,

Wayne 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2011

Geeze...buy the platesetter.  Enjoy what versatility your Egg can offer.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fishlessman
    edited December 2011
    ribs cooked over a paella pan covered with foil

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    butt over a couple briskets over a pan

fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2011

I cook all chicken and turkey spatchcocked and direct.

Save the money on the platesetter. Call Tom @ www.ceramicgrillstore.com and order a spyder and pizza stone.

I have platesetters for both my large and small: never use them..... not even for pizza....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    here is a butt cooked raised grid direct, notice how much lump i started with and finished with.. platesetters force you to burn more lump, and are not needed until your cooking at higher temps where you need the heat to get to temp quickly like in a high temp pizza or bread cook. its simply a heat mass, the egg is already a heat mass that does well enough on its own. its never been needed before in all the years of people cooking on this style cooker and the kamado has been around along time
    fukahwee maine

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited December 2011

It appears that the Spider and 13" stone cost about as much as a plate setter.  I don't have the Spider but what can it do that the plate setter can't?

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    you can do without the plate setter, but why. I love mine.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited December 2011

That's what I was thinking, but I am curious if the Spider/Stone combo is more versatile than the plate setter.
  • fishlessman

That's what I was thinking, but I am curious if the Spider/Stone combo is more versatile than the plate setter.
    but if you applied the money for the platesetter towards the adjustable rig and stone, there isnt to many setups you cant do,
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

It appears that the Spider and 13" stone cost about as much as a plate setter.  I don't have the Spider but what can it do that the plate setter can't?

Drop a grill on the spyder and you can light up a steak just off the lump. Are anything for a very fast quick sear.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    The adjustable rig is osome and worth every penny! I personali like the oval model better due to the slide out rack!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Fishlessman -

Thanks for the grate images on this - I will try a setup like you did for ribs without the platesetter !

• Ragtop99
    Fishlessman and Mickey, thanks for the ideas. 

I have a 15" Pizza Stone and will try something like the first picture the next time out.   3 bricks look like they would be handy. Combine that with a spare rack from old New Braunsfel smoker and I like the flexibility. The spider and Woo2 look like neat toys, especially for getting a good sear on steaks.

To the others that say "just buy it", I may.  But for now it's fun to experiment in a less conventional manner. 
  • Ragtop99
    Just to update this, I did a pork butt w/o the platesetter.  I put my pizza stone on the grate.  I put foil over the stone set my adjustable V rack on it.  On the V-rack I put my 15" grate from my other grill.  Worked fine. 

I've since purchased a Woo2 with their 17.5" stone and I picked up an 18" cast iron grate.  The combination wasn't a lot more than a plate setter and it gives more flexibility for the things I'll probably do with the Egg.  One of the main drivers was that I wanted a C.I. grate sitting closer to the fire when doing steaks.  I probably didn't need the stone, but it is a nice heavy stone and a good increase in diameter, so I splurged.