Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gift

Options
stew4twa
stew4twa Posts: 0
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I just got this thing for Xmas cain't wait to give it a whirl!

Comments

• Diptip
    Diptip Posts: 45
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm new also and can't wait to get started. My wife needs a carrot dish to bring with us later, does anyone have a recipe?
    In an idiots head.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 tbl unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for preparing baking dish
    • 1 tbl, plus 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 2 lbs baby carrots, trimmed
    • 2 tbl extra vigin olive oil
    • 1 small yellow onion, minced
    • 1 tsp sugar
    • 1/2 cup mayo
    • 2 tsp prepared horseradish
    • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 slices white bread
    • dash of ground paprika

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a 9x13 baking dish. Fill a 4 qt. sauce pan half full with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbl of the salt, and then add the carrots. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 6 min., depending on the size of the carrots. Drain the carrots in a colander and set aside to drain well. In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion, sprinkle evenly with the sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown lightly, about 5 min. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine the mayo, horseradish, the remaining 1 tsp of salt, and the pepper. Add the cooled onions and stir to combine well. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and horseradish. Add the drained carrots and toss to coat evenly with the horseradish mixture. Transfer the carrots to the prepared baking dish, arranging them in an even layer. Spread the bread slices on one side with the 1 1/2 tbl butter. Sprinkle the buttered sides with the paprika and cut each slice into quarters. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the bread pieces until they are the consistency of large bread crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the carrots in an even layer. Bake until the top is nicely browned and the carrots are heated through, about 20 min. Serve immediately directly from the dish.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Candied carrots are a nice holiday treat!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Diptip
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm going to run this and some other things I found past my wife. Hopefully I will post some pictures later.
    In an idiots head.
  • Diptip
    Options
    Thanks boston_stoker, that looks like just what I was looking for. Simple.
    In an idiots head.