Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Torment

mazaman
mazaman Posts: 17
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

After reading this forum for months and oogeling the egg every time I went to my local grill store, my christmas present finally arrived today - a large BGE and is sitting in the table that I built over the past week or so.  Only problem is, SWMBO won't let me go near it until Christmas.  Instead, I had to use my cheap offset smoker today.  And since we always have Christmas eve catered with lots of leftovers, god knows when I'll get to use the egg.  Perhaps I can use it to reheat the chicken murphy or something,  :))

Since this is my 1st post, let me introduce myself.  I've been seriously grilling/smoking for about 7 years and I've evolved from a Weber Smokey Joe to a Brinkman Bullet smoker to a Charbroil offset smoker,  I cook outdoors every chance I get and have pretty much stopped using my kitchen on the w/e's.  I get good results from the offset smoker (and plan on keeping it for overflow for large parties), but it is such high maintenance; 16-18 hour smokes are a bear when you got to be adding charcoal every hour.  So I am really looking forward to eating brisket on a more regular basis.  I can't wait to get at the egg,  Probably start off with some forgiving stuff, a fatty, fire brick chicken, AB meatloaf, and then on to some pork butt.  I guess the one big change for me will be giving up the mop.  Do you guys find that you get just as good bark by leaving it alone, as opposed to mopping every hour?  My family used to love the apple cider - spiced rum mop I used to use.

Looking for to drinking the cool-aid

Craig

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    First, welcome and Congrats!  You'll love your BGE.
    But, um, your "SWMBO" let you know about your gift, so you could build a table, but still won't let you use it until after Xmas?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Welcome to the cult! I've had mine since '06. Best cooker ever! You won't need to mop. Less you open The Egg the better. w/ brisket I wrap the flat end in foil for the last few hours of the cook to keep it from drying out. Get yourself a Polder or a Maverick to monitor the temp. 
    Saludos, 
    A
  • I had a SWMBO once. We're divorced now.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    welcome - and as regards to "SWMBO" - my suggestion would be to do as i do - look her straight in the eye and say, "yes mam"

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216

Welcome to the wonderful world of Eggheads!  You are very brave to cook brisket for your first cook.

click this link for some suggestions.

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • @bubba tim: he has smoked before so my advice to the original poster is GO BIG or GO HOME! Just remember its easier to raise the temp then lower ir and keep the lid SHUT
  • I'm the man in my house.  When my wife told me to go use my Father's Day present a week early, I did!
    The Naked Whiz
  • @ Naked Whiz,  :)) =)) :))  It is truly a wise "man of the house" that understand this :))
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Congratulation on you present.  Welcome to the egging world
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I'm a single guy, I'm just wondering what is SWMBO?
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • "She Who Must Be Obeyed"
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • OK!  Thanks for information Greenhawk.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • mazaman
    mazaman Posts: 17
    Sorry for the delay on the update.  The torment ended on Christmas morning.  Cooked up some breakfast fatties:  scrambled egg, sauteed red and green peppers, green chiles, diced potatoes, and onions.

Egg worked great, shot up to temperature and stabilized pretty quick.  Used BGE lump and distributed a couple of hand fulls of cherry chips throughout. Smoke was lighter than my offset smoker.  Next time, I'll try just laying the chips on top. 

Later in the week, I tried Myron Mixon's Bacon Wrapped Coca-Cola Chicken Breast (sorry no Q-view).  Egg needed air vents opened twice as much as the 1st cook to maintain 325, so I assume this is from small charcoal bits blocking the grate.  Chicken breast was great - super moist but a little lighter smoke flavor than I would have liked.

For New Year's Eve, I cooked up a 4 bone rib roast.  Split roast in half, cooked 2 bones medium rare and 2 bones medium well.  Added medium rare roast to the Egg about a 1/2 hr after the medium well roast so that they would be done about the same time.  Both came out perfectly cooked. Again, vents were open about twice as much as the 1st cook, and chased temp a bit after I added the 2nd 2 bones.  Overall though, Egg maintained temp pretty well.  It was great not having to babysit the fire.  Next up, 2-2-1 baby backs.