Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New user first impressions (long)

Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
First off I’d like to express my appreciation for this forum. I read hundreds of pages of posts prior to purchase and you’v saved me a lot of grief. My dentist had been singing the praises of BGE so, after investigation, I pulled the trigger and got a Large BGE. First thing I did was a beer can chicken with nothing on it just to see the results. It came out great! Since then there has been another chicken (roasted with salsa under the skin), chicken quarters with rub, a turkey that went with a grandson in college to make friends with. Today I did a round roast. It will spend the night in the fridge and get thin-sliced tomorrow for lunch meat. I had been holding onto my Weber Gold for direct until I did some killer burgers last night. Now I’m looking for some deserving household that would like a near-new Weber. I’ll keep my offset Brinkman because I can do two legs of lamb on it and that happens once a year for an event. I’ll keep my five-foot grill for an event that happens once a year. My backyard looked like a bar-b-q graveyard. Those not mentioned went away today. Thanks to this forum I held back some doo-dads, gizmos and pieces for use with the BGE.

My opinion so far:
Cons:
Eggpensive! But at my age I may never by another ‘Q.
Pros:
This does it all with remarkable stability and a great community.

Two requests:
I want to do some beans from scratch. No canned beans. I can’t find anything on the net but I ain’t a computer whiz. I’d also like to do a pot roast on the egg, any suggestions?

Io Saturnalia and Merry Christmas to you all
Bob in Oakland, California
My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Go to susieqbrand.com, they have some pinquito beans and seasoning. I haven't been able to find these in any grocery stores around our area (Santa Cruz, Ca.). They are the beans that are grown in the Santa Maria, Ca. area and are used with Santa Maria style tri-tip. I'm cooking a pot right now and they are smelling great.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Beans beans beans beans beans beans beans beans . Beans beans the wonderful fruit the more you eat the more you toot! The more you eat the better you feel,so eat some beans with every meal. Soak your beans the night before. Boil them the following day for approx 45 mins. until skins break.  Follow a standard Boston bean recipie with navy beans, molasses and brown sugar,salt pork, dry musdard. etc.  Put it in a beanpot and put on the egg for 5 hrs @ 325F. MMMMMMMMM. I am glad you are excited about your new egg. Happy cooking and Happy Holidays, Dan
  • One option for a pot roast, toss everything you would for a crockpot pot roast into a cast iron dutch oven, and throw that on the egg.  Time and temp for whatever your conditions.  Lower and all day if you got the time, higher and 3-5 hours if you don't.  Feel free to make a lot, because it tends to get even better by about the 3rd or 4th day.

My favorite reheating method is cast iron skillet loosely covered on med-low heat until you have some nice tasty crusty bits in the pan.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Baysidebob ;

The pinquito beans turned out great, I added some sauted onions, garlic, hamburger and linguica. You don't have to soak these over night. 1 lb. of beans in 2 quarts of water, add seasoning packet and bring to a boil. Then added my other items and simmered for about 3 hours. The beans are about 1/2 the size of regular pinto beans.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • O on placesetterthe nI use Alton Browns baked bean recipe with some extra liquid. Place rack on ps and cook a pork butt at the same ttime
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Here are some suggestions:

First a pot roast - this recipe is one of my favorites:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1016

You can also make great pulled beef from a regular flat chuck roast using this recipe:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=431

I prefer spatchcock chicken which is quite easy and comes out great:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

These should keep you busy for a while.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA