Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommendations for "flavoring" a spatchcocked turkey.

coastalegg
coastalegg Posts: 22
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first turkey this weekend on my new egg. Any suggestions on how to "flavor" the bird? I am going to be spatchcocking. Was thinking of injection a Cajun/butter concoction but could also rub a herb/butter mixture under the skin. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. This will be the first time grilling a turkey. I have done a couple of chickens and was amazed at the flavor and juiciness of the meat. I really want to maximize flavor on the turkey too. Thanks.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

What you're thinking should be just fine ...

Any method that you like inside in or on your stove, is just that much better on your egg ... Don't over think it and it will be great! Oven temps that work inside, also work well on the BGE.

Make sure you cook to internal temps rather than time.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I just did one with Famous Daves poultry mix, lowrys and garlic. I also used cherry wood for smoke. Towards the end, I drizzled a little honey on it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2011

Go very light on the wood (smoke). Like to mix (very light) cherry/pecan.

I always spatchcock at 400 direct and high in the dome. I like the 12lb birds best and takes less that 1.5 hour.

Have had good luck with Coffee Rub or Butt Rubb and this year Cluck & Squeal.

Night before last did a few turkey legs and just before done (15 min) used Bone Sucking Sauce - wow

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    As mentioned, your game plan is fine-spatchcocked a 15# turkey (LBGE) for Thanksgiving-iced the breasts for around 30-45 mins before starting the cook.  Did indirect at 350*F on the dome and took around 2.5 hours for 160*F in the breasts and 180*F in the thighs.  Outstanding-just like those practice chix.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks all. Good point on icing down the breasts too.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Done lots of spatchcocked turkeys (all cooked direct) and have never iced the breasts. You see that in cooking the full (none spatchcocked) bird. Just never seen where needed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.