Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

too much smoke

Options
aquariusaz
aquariusaz Posts: 1
edited December 2011 in Root
Did a pork shoulder first low and slow as recommended turned out great.  But tried steaks a week later and turned out too smokey. Used Bid Green Egg charcoal that was supplied.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Are you saying they were too smokey without any smoking wood. If so, you probably had drippings in the lump and acrid smoke. You need to get a clear smoke off the egg before you put food on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Agree with Steven. Did you use a drip pan when you did your pork shoulder? When you light the EGG wait till the smoke clears, to see what the smoke would do to your meat hold your hand in the smoke stream then take a wif of your hand. That will give you a good indication of what your cook is going to taste like.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

If you followed the guidance from BGE then that is the likely source of the heavy smoke taste.  I had the same problem the first time I cooked steaks and quickly found  different methods-

Check out this link for some good suggestions: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef 

Also the search function will yield other ideas-and if not found here, try www.greeneggers.com .

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Greygoose
    Options
    how did you cook the steaks? if you left them in the egg to finish, and you shut down your vents completely, things can taste awfully smokey.

greygoose
  • stevesails
    Options

it took me a while to really figure it out. let the smoke go clear, and then still wait 10-15 minutes, My wife hated the not-good smokey taste of foof until i figured it out.  Now, my chicken, steaks, pork tenderloin is the best.  I find the taste from the lump is all i need, I rarely use smoking wood, other than pecan for my pork but or ribs.  Chicken and Turky just take on too much of the smoke taste for my family's likes and even mine sometimes. 

I use the egg and my outdoor oven.  I cooked a chicken last nigth in the Vee roaster, not much different than a Turkey,  came out great.

My kids are home from collegge and they are pretty disappointed in the dorm food, every piece of meat is overcooked. and dry.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of real smokey food either. I use a good dry rub and a good thermometer and have great tasting food
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    stevesails, your kids got meat?  Why, when I was in college.....  
    :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    stevesails, your kids got meat?  Why, when I was in college.....  
    :))

Don't care who ya are ... that there is funny!

Thanks for the chuckle 

=))
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stevesails
    Options

well  it is dried out chicken at best or overdone something else.  we called it Mystry meat.

The Breast meat was so moist last night i couldnt believe it.  . On a vee rack with celery, apple, onioon and some lemon in the cavity. with some dixxy dust raging river on the outside.  

It was good stuff.  

XL   Walled Lake, MI