Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should i sear a flank recommendation?

Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited December 2011 in EGGtoberfest

I've been searing thick steaks and burgers since my intorduction to the egg and love the flavor i get from the tecnique. Last time i cooked a flank i did not sear and just did 4 mintues per side and a 10 minutes rest to get a very tasty medium rare. I'm a little hesitant to sear a flank since its so thin and i dont want to over cook it. even with a thermapen, i think things may go astray (overcooked) with something this thin.

I was planning on trying to do a 90 second sear, flip, 90 second sear, then raise grate, close the vents 3/4 of the  way and cook for another 2 minutes. then thermapen it (while looking up inthe sky and praying).

i'm interested in what others have done with searing a thin flank steak to keep it at meddium rare. any tips and tricks would be helpful before i risk ruining this gorgeous piece of beef.

thanx

Greygoose

Comments

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    I did one last night for fajitas and I used my spider with a ci grate over the hot coals and seared it for about 90sec a side flipping at 45 to get crossed grill marks. I took it off and put the regular grill on, closed down the egg until it reached about 450 and put the flank back on with probe set at 125. Took it off at 125 and tented it in af. While it rested I threw some Cuban peppers right on the grill for 5 min. Sliced everything up and put on tortillas. Flank was medium rare and nicely seared.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Flank is one of my favorite cuts of meat, I do 3 or 4 a month.

I get egg to about 500 - 550.  I cook it grid level and flip it every 90 seconds.  At about 7-8 minutes (5th flip), the flank will be 125 internal.  I start checking it often after the 6 minute mark to make sure I don't overshoot medium-rare.

Take it off for a 5 minute rest and slice thin against the grain on a 45 degree angle. I put the slices over rice or noodles or just each them straight up with a side.  WOW are they good!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Flank is one of my favorite cuts of meat, I do 3 or 4 a month.

I get egg to about 500 - 550.  I cook it grid level and flip it every 90 seconds.  At about 7-8 minutes (5th flip), the flank will be 125 internal.  I start checking it often after the 6 minute mark to make sure I don't overshoot medium-rare.

Take it off for a 5 minute rest and slice thin against the grain on a 45 degree angle. I put the slices over rice or noodles or just each them straight up with a side.  WOW are they good!
    This is close to what i would normally do (except all that flipping) . i Just cook 4 minutes per side. My question is more around how to change that type of cook with searing. That first couple of minutes next to the coals has got to have some sort of impact on time vs. the traditional method. I always cook by temp vs. time with thicker cuts, but with a cut this thin, i was hoping to come up with somthing a little more time based (since 60 seconds can be the difference between perfect and way over done. My plan is to sear for 90 seconds per side, then finish on elevated grate 2.5 minutes as the egg is cooling down (since i'll be using the dropped spider and the egg wont be an inferno). I then do one quick thermapen check and pull if i'm anywhere close to 130. I'll let you know how it goes.....thanx
  • Hot and fast for flank

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=907475&catid=1

That's some serious HOT and I bet it was seriously FAST.  I'll give that a shot.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Use long tongs man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Use long tongs man!
    I've got some long tongs and one of the elbow length orca glove.  Hopefully it won't melt to my arm!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Sear it quite close to the coals with the lid open. 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side is ample time for a good sear while still leaving the steak a nice mid rare.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

I use the spider and if I get it fire just right, not too hot, I don't even need to move up to the top grate.  Just finish down low and get a perfect med rare.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/907475/x/p1

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Thought I'd finish what i started:

I used the spider and got the egg up to about 600. Seared for 90 seconds, flipped, seared for 90 seconds, removed steak and 13 ci from spider. Flipped spider and put the 18in ci back in for aan elevated finish. shut top and bottom vents to half way and put steak back on (this put me at the 400 degree dome i was looking for). 3.5 minutes later , flipped the steak. 3 minutes later removed the steak to foil for a 10 minutes rest.

Turned out great. these times will depend on the thickness of the meat.

i was very surprised by the result. I thought the steak would be overcooked (since i would normally cook this steak at regular grill height and 450 degrees for 4 minutes per side). so the steak actuall sat on the grill longer useing the sear method than the straight cook. I'm sticking with the sear technique though. It really brings out the flavor.

Greygoose

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    i was very surprised by the result. I thought the steak would be overcooked (since i would normally cook this steak at regular grill height and 450 degrees for 4 minutes per side). so the steak actuall sat on the grill longer useing the sear method than the straight cook. I'm sticking with the sear technique though. It really brings out the flavor.

Greygoose

Do you not use a thermometer to check for "doneness"?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• i do. but with a steak this thin, i was trying to come up with a method where i wouldnt have to continually poke at it every minute.

Greygoose