Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trouble getting egg hot in the cold

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I made pizzas last night and had a hell of a time getting the egg hot. It only made it up to about 600 and didn't stay there long. i barely had enough hot coals to finish up the fourh pie(at only 400 degrees!). The outdoor temperature was in the high 20's and I was using Frontier charcoal, which I suggest you don't waste money on. I was just shocked by the low temp and the brief burn time. Any tips or theories would be appreciated.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    First it has nothing to do with the outside temperature. 

Agree.  I did 18 lbs of shoulder with a temp of 7 degrees overnight on Saturday using my lump reducer.  12 hours later they finished and I had 1/2 my lump left.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Options
    Haven't tried lump reducer for long cook. Obviously it seems to go all night.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I use it for every cook.  I attached a bottom grid to it so I can shake the ash out after every cook, just leaving the ready to use charcoal for the next cook  It's quite awesome.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• rodent
    Options
    Thanks, I will try it on my next overnighter. I really like it for steaks and direct cooks.
  • canoeandcue
    Options
    I agree with the above. Before achiving high temps, good,dry charcoal........clean out ash. Make sure your fire ring is full. You probably started out with a fire ring 1/2 or 3/4 full of lump. High temp = high rate of fuel consumption. At 400 deg. you probably started to run out of fuel. To achive over 600 deg. take the time to make sure everything is clean,dry and full of charcoal.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I use it for every cook.  I attached a bottom grid to it so I can shake the ash out after every cook, just leaving the ready to use charcoal for the next cook  It's quite awesome.
    Do you have any pics of your lump reducer and the bottom grid?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Do you have any pics of your lump reducer and the bottom grid?
    imageimageimage
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I did my first cook at 25º this last weekend, on my Small, and had two problems.  One, my Egg was choked with ash, and the Ash Tool works, but not very well, on the Small (in the future I will pull out the ring and the firebox and just sweep it out, those components aren't cumbersome on the Small).  
    The other problem was just getting the lump lit in the first place, it took a couple tries (I normally use one BGE paraffin block).  My lump is kept out in the porch so it was at 25º too, but the ash blockage may have had something to do with it too.    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited December 2011
    Options

The other problem was just getting the lump lit in the first place, it took a couple tries (I normally use one BGE paraffin block).  My lump is kept out in the porch so it was at 25º too, but the ash blockage may have had something to do with it too.    
    I highly recommend an $8.00 electric starter.  I keep my lump outside in the cold year round and the electric starter fires the lump up just as good in 20 degrees below zero weather as it does 90 degrees above zero.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Choke;

Do you have the XL or the large? Is the reducer from CGS?

Thanks for the pics.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options

Choke;

Do you have the XL or the large? Is the reducer from CGS?

Thanks for the pics.

I have an XL.  The reducer is from my old "Weber Smokey Mountain" smoker.  But I think mine and the one from CGS are very similar in size (If I remember correctly - I compared them a while back).  The grate I attached is just a standard Weber charcoal grate.  It fits almost perfectly on the bottom of the egg and helps keep the lump away and out of the charcoal grate holes.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• rodent
    Options
    I have the cgs reducer sitting on a weber grill grate. Fits my xl perfectly. I got the open wire lump reducer.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options

I highly recommend an $8.00 electric starter.  I keep my lump outside in the cold year round and the electric starter fires the lump up just as good in 20 degrees below zero weather as it does 90 degrees above zero.
    Thanks, I've been wondering if that's the way to go (but, thankfully, I no longer live in 20 below like I did in Grand Forks!).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I have the cgs reducer sitting on a weber grill grate. Fits my xl perfectly. I got the open wire lump reducer.
    Nice, that's the one I was looking at before I realized I had one sitting out in my garage collecting dust.

Before I figured out the lump reducer with the grid bottom, my charcoal grate used to get clogged all the time.
    Now I start clean every cook and get a consistent fire every time.

Someday this setup will come standard with every EGG! :)
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Botch,
    Smart move.  One of these days I'll smarten up and get out of the cold myself!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    thanks all. I'm gonna spend some time hunting down royal oak at all the local walmarts. My closest walmart doesn't carry it anymore.
  • Snowgetting
    Options
    I made pizzas last night and had a hell of a time getting the egg hot. It only made it up to about 600 and didn't stay there long. i barely had enough hot coals to finish up the fourh pie(at only 400 degrees!). The outdoor temperature was in the high 20's and I was using Frontier charcoal, which I suggest you don't waste money on. I was just shocked by the low temp and the brief burn time. Any tips or theories would be appreciated.
  • Snowgetting
    Options
    I did a butt on the egg in northern minnesota last year, outside temp at night hit -25 and mine held.  it used a lot more lump but i was pretty impressed.