Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked salmon

Options
burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I plan to smoke a couple salmon fillets for the holidays. What temp and approx time? I plan to use alder chunks or chips.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I like 225º for about an hour to hour an a half skin side down on foiled grate. Moist & tender with good smoke flavor. Maple is nice as well.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    As Squeezy says, 225*F on the dome is a good temp-I pull mine at 140*F.  Time really depends on the thickness of your fillets but start checking around 45-50 mins into the smoke. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Thanks, that's pretty quick.  I was thinking 4-5 hours but glad to hear shorter time will work.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited December 2011
    Options
    imageI use a semicircular pan I got at my BBQ supply store.  I've cooked at anywhere between 250 and 350 grid temp and the only difference is the time it takes.  Usually about 45 minutes at 250.  I've also cooked it direct at the same temperatures and it takes less time. It always comes out great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Greygoose
    Options

I use a deboned fillet to start with. cover it in olive oil, sprinkly garlic salt and pepper. grill direct at 450 for 4 minutes per side. Foil and let rest for 10 minutes.  Time will vary by thickness, but this method yields delicious fish up to 1 inch thick.

Greygoose

• Greygoose
    Options

Tweev,

I buy the entire fillet from costco and its already deskinned and deboned.  When i cooked salmon with skin on in the past, i peeded the skin, then scraped off the grey/brown fat layer that between the skin and the fish. Now i dont have to mess with any of it. When i pull it, i lightly coat it with a vidalia onion / mustard dressing during the rest stage. Great for a meal or an appetizer with crackers. Seems like its the first thing to disappear at parties.

Greygoose