Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Advice?

OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited December 2011 in Beef
I have a medium Egg and I'm cooking for 7 people.  Obviously space will be limited, so I'm thinking about cooking it on indirect heat with the plate setter.  How many minutes per pound and at what temperture should I use?  It seems 130 degrees is the desired temperture.  In addition, is there anything wrong with serving it bone in, or do I need to cut it off?  I sure do appreciate any advice you guys can offer. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    indirect 250 or so.
    no need to sear first or last.  you won't risk burning any, and you'll still have a crust.

you can certainly serve it bone-in, but that means each guest will have a monster steak.  or you can slice off the bones then cut slies from the roast to the thickness each guests prefers
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Cut all the bones off as one unit, then you can season on all sides. Tie the bone unit back on with kitchen twine and cook which ever way you choose. When it's done, cut the strings and slice according to what each person wants. Slice the rib unit between the bones and serve them as beef ribs, they are really good.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • There is a great video that can be downloaded as a podcast, website, or even maybe Youtube by Pepperpilot for a salt encrusted prime rib. It is smoked on a BGE and I think that is what I am going to do for Christmas Eve dinner.  
  • Thanks everybody, all good stuff.  Just a few more questions?

Should I use smoke chips?  If so what kind?  And at 250 degrees, how many minutes per lbs should I plan for?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• stike
    i like oak with beef.

time to cook? who cares? you'll be drinking wine and enjoying company, then letting it rest before carving.  plenty of flex.  i would put it on and then pour a drink.  give yourself maybe an hour, hour and a half?

any thoughts, littlesteven?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

How big is the rib? What temp. have you decided to cook at? You need to know these before you can estimate the time. Even with that, you should always cook to temp., the minutes per pound method should only be used as an approximation to doneness, so you can get other things ready.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Billyray, Totally agree.  The prime rib is going to be served at a dinner party on Wednesday night.  I'm just trying to budget my time.  Its going to cook at 250 indirect heat.  Gonna be a big rib.  Enough to serve 7.  I plan on cooking it to 120, allowing a 10 degree increase while it rests.  Really don't want the wife pissed because the cook went long and we eat at 10:00.   

Med & XL

• stike
    a four pound roast takes no more time to cook than a full 7-bone.  it cooks from the sides in, not the ends.  only impact from the bigger roast vs. smaller is the recovery time of the dome temp when you put in 14 pounds of cold meat vs. 4 or 5.  try putting it on at room temp.  give it a couple hours on the counter to warm up.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've used both methods mentioned below. I prefer the one where you start it at a very high heat for a while then shut down the vents so it will eventually get to 250 or so and leave the roast in while it drops.  This really cooks the outside nicely.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm
    and
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • 25 to 30 minutes per pound to rare is what I have experienced. It will look more rare than it is

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I used red wine soaked wood from wine barrels placed throughout the lump so it wouldnt all go up at once. Perfect and the flavor was also accompanied with red wine at dinner.

LET'S EAT