Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket project

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Well I just cleaned off my old gasket and it really wasn't as bad a job as I thought it would be. I did place the dome back on top after, just see about the possibility of going gasketless. I could see light all the way across the egg. I just can't see how it would be a good idea. Too many irregularities in the ceramics. I have one pretty good dip in one area.
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options

When you removed the dome did you just lossen the nut holding the band and pull the dome or did you remove the dome and band (unbolting from the hinge assembly) together?  Curious as I am about to embark on the same project and am a little concerned about reseating the dome after gasket replacement.

In advance, thanks-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gato
    Options
    I kept those white pieces it was shipped with and placed those across the bolts to hold the band in place. I also placed some tie straps for added measure. I then loosened the bolts on the band and removed the dome and the bands. Only loosened the two carriage bolts.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks Gato as that is the direction I am leaning-found many comments where the entire band assembly is removed and I couldn't figure out the benefits of that endeavor.  Should you have any other insights as you reflect on this feel free to post and happy egging.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gato
    Options
    Well the gasket its done. I did use the super 77 in a spray can. I would recommend spraying it in a cup and brushing it on for the rims so not to worry about over spray. I then took a rough measurement for the gasket material but DID NOT CUT. I laid it out and sprayed what I thought I needed. When it was tacky I had my wife hold it up of the ground while I placed the gasket. Repeat process for the egg rim.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Have replaced gasket a couple of times. Don't torture yourself with removing entire band assembly. Put the white bands back on and loosen carriage bolts.  Or use plastic tie wraps if you tossed the bands out.  Make sure you tie wrap the upper and lower hinge.  If working alone cut the gasket in half and keep short pieces for small patch jobs.  Agreed - Super77 sprayed in a cup and brushed on is a lot cleaner job.   Lots of video of the net for resource..  Important to let it sit for a day before cooking.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• lousubcap
    Options

Appreciate the "been there, done that" insights.  I've watched several videos and most seem to remove the band assemblies for whatever reason...Thanks also for the reminder to let it set up for a day before using again.

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

I burned two factory gaskets off cooking pizza @ 650. ;-)  I replaced my factory gasket with a Rutland hihgh-heat fireplace door gasket as described below. I have had two 650 degree pizza nights using legs down plate setter without any heat issues. 

@lousubcap - you can use a couple of nylon tie wraps to keep hinge closed with no problems (watch video below).  Removing hinge/and bands makes cleaning off old gasket much easier.  To clean top, place an old blanket/towel (for padding) around rim of lower half, invert upper half inside to hold it while you work.  I removed entire band assembly and reinstalled and finally performed the dollor-bill test all the way around the egg as shown in the videos.

BTW - You do need a gasket for low/slow cooks to limit "random" air intake.  Also if you do a high temp cook, and your seal leaks, if will take a long time (hours) to put out charcoal and cool grill because it keeps burning with all the vents closed.

Rutland Gasket Install (this is what I did)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Top Aligment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg&feature=player_embedded 

Burned Gasket Discussion

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1135158/fried-my-gasket-cooking-pizzas-operator-error

Gasket Repair

This guy has three videos that do a good job of showing how to disassemble Egg, clean off old gasket and reinstall and adjust Egg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQdOvfLtrE 

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"