Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you buy 18" x 24" slate?

Options
Mountain_Man
Mountain_Man Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

I just bought a large BGE and have decided to build the Naked Whiz's table out of cypress. His plans call for an 18" x 24" piece of slate that he bought at Home Depot. Both Home Depot and Lowes looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for that size. Where have you guys found a piece of slate that big?

Comments

• mitch
    mitch Posts: 25
    Options
    Try a local kitchen cabinet/counter top dealer.  They will have stone, slate, granite, marble.  
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Look for your local granite dealer, they will be able to cut anything you want in any size.  :-? If you want to consider another idea that a lot of us use is a simple paver stone. My two larges are on them, bought from the Depot. 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Options
    Think "flagstone" instead of "slate."  The term is used interchangeably except, perhaps, among roofers.  Or any kind of paver.  HD has them in their yard.
  • BarManBean
    Options
    go to a GOOD garden supply store, they will have what you are looking for.  I looked all over before discovering that.  If you are like me and you are looking for something with a nice clean look to it (think straight edges and nice flat surfaces) look for "laser cut" flag stone.

By the way, where are you located?
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I didn't buy the slate at Home Depot.  That was the 18x18 tile.  The slate came from a nursery that had landscaping supplies also.  Any place that sells stone will also carry cut sheets of slate for stepping stones, or as was already noted, flagstones.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mountain_Man
    Options

Thanks for the replys. I did get up with a local granite dealer and purchased two pieces of grante that are basically black, with some green :-bd running through them.

The local lumber yard is milling some cypress for me now. If I don't screw this up too bad... I'll post some pictures once I get it buit.

• Mountain_Man
    Options
    FYI... $75 for the two pieces of granite cut and finished to my spec's.
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    @nakedwhizOld thread here but I am gonna build your table for my large green egg.  The 18x 24 sheet slate... Is is 3/4 " thick?  I would imagine that bottom piece needs to be as thich as the boards.  Thanks
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)