Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometers -- Making a Christmas Wish List - What should I have on it?

Options
Kloss
Kloss Posts: 8
edited November 2011 in Forum List
What thermometers do you fellow BGEgger's like out there? Looking for something to tell what the meat temp inside the grill is while its cooking. Love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• Greygoose
    Options
    1.  Thermopen for quick checks (great for steaks and burgers after searing and resting on top grate). I've tried others and found that having something read within 5 seconds is really nice. Down side is you'll need to buck up some cash, so its better to put it on your list for one of your more "Financially stable (or credit card with no restraint)" relatives can step up to plate and purchase you the perfect gift. 
    2. maverick 732 - for long cooks. lets you monitor grate temp and meat temp at the same time. Saves you a ton of trips back and forth. 

Thermometer wise, thats all you need.

Greygoose
  • Smoker_Guru
    Options

I also use both the Thermopen and the Maverick 732, wouldn’t be without either one of them..

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I also use both the Thermopen and the Maverick 732, wouldn’t be without either one of them..

Likewise, except my 732 is in the mail ... still have my 73 though.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    My Maverick et732 is also in the mail. It will be delivered tomorrow. Thermopen will have to wait for now unless Santa brings me one - some how I doubt that is going to happen. I have not been a real good girl this year.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Hexis
    Hexis Posts: 2
    Options
    The Thermapen really is worth it.

I use the Stoker as a controller and remote monitor.  If you are looking for a controller, you get very expandable remote monitoring as a nice side benefit.

• Kloss
    Kloss Posts: 8
    Options
    Excellent feedback - these two items are on the list! Now if I could just decide on some of the contraptions at the Ceramic Grill Store website -- the WOO - The Spider - The adjustable rig -- good god you need to be a mechanical engineer to figure them all out. Any of you folks got experience and recos on them? 

• Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i just depends on what you do. i only have the spider. i like to invert it for searing and flip it for "elevated" cooking. I made my own secondary grate from the BGE original grate after purchasing the replacement CE 18 inch grate for my large and the 13 CI for searing with the spider. i've rarely used the secondary BGE original though. i just dont do many multi-level cooks. if you plan on loading up the egg with all sorts of stuff at once, these other tools can only help. Like i said, for me, i only needed the spider.

BTW, the spider is also great if you've only got a small amount of lump in the egg and you have a small cook to do. since it drops the grate, a little lump can go a long way when your closer to the coals. 

Greygoose
  • Squeezy
    Options
    My ET-732 arrived today ... can't wait to use it!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    So did mine!
  • Squeezy
    Options
    I'm using mine as I type ... got a wine butt chicken on the egg now ...
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Mine is still sitting on the counter. I seem to be on the rather thick side when it comes to these stupid little things. Today my plate was full and the grandkids are here - after the gk baseball game tomorrow I will have more time to sit down and figure out how to get it to work so I can cook the standing rib for the "BIG" game. Wish me luck.....
  • Grillin_n_Chillin
    Options
    Kloss...I'd also recommend the 2 tier adjustable swing rack system from Ceramic Grillworks as a must have item also
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    Read your directions on turning on your 732 readouts....otherwise you're likely to wonder what's wrong with it and why it's taking so long to link up.....Don't ask how I know......
  • Squeezy
    Options

Yeah only a few buttons, each with more than one function!

• GrannyX4
    Options
    We are taking it to gk's baseball game and I'm going to let the SIL figure it out. More later- I'm sure it's something simple. I'm just having a very long senior moment right now.
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Hang in there buttercup!
  • gamera06
    Options
    I'd rather go for a real Thermoworks:

http://thermoworks.com

or the twin probe:

BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • GrannyX4
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The cord isn't long enough to stretch into the kitchen. I just want to know what the little green thing is doing when my back is turned.

OK, I got figured out and I'm about to put it to the test. It seems I wasn't patient enough with the buttons.

Isn't "buttercup" an old nag????
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Not necessarily ... it is in fact a pretty little flower ... :bz
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    That's your story!!! Not many people refer to me as little.

The husband and I are enjoying the new thermometer. Watching football and temp at the same time. It's great.