Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To pull or not to pull?

Drunk at the EGG
Drunk at the EGG Posts: 52
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried Egging butt or shoulder and not pulling right away? I want to Egg a few shoulders, but I want to know if it is better to leave them whole and freeze, or pull them first and then freeze.
Any help?
Thanks

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I pull and then freeze. Here's my reason.The flavors in the bark are then mixed with the interior meat, and while in the freezer, the bark's flavor gets to mix with the remaining fat, thereby flavoring more of the meat when served.

Also, I've read that if the butt is frozen un-pulled, a lot of the gel will re-solidify in masses that require more reheating, and thus more drying, when time comes to pull the meat. Don't know if that's true, but I try to avoid anything that makes me cook the meat any more than it needs.
  • When I smoke my Boston Butts, I wait a couple of hours after they are smoked, then hand pull them apart.

I then place the pull in sealed zip lock gallon sized bags, and place in the refrigerator until I need them.

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    It is better to pull while the meat is still hot.  I  waited until the next day to pull a Boston butt and it was very difficult- the fat and connective tissue had solidified and congealed.  It was like trying to pull apart a regular pot roast and very sticky. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that gelatin takes as much or more heat to melt again as it does to convert it from the collagen in the first place. in short: pull and reheat
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pull and reheat. If it takes you 12-18 hrs to get it to 200 degrees and in most cases you've rendered most if not all of the fat out of it there's nothing good that can come out of re-cooking it again even to 140 degrees. The outer meat will be drying out while you try to get the internal temp up. I just put it in vacuum bags or ziplocks. If you use ziplocks do not have the water above a low simmer because they're not made for that. You can also reheat in a pan with a multitude of liquids. I use chicken broth but you can use everything from Coke to apple juice.
  • Pull.... Would someone please cook some pork and slice it, an post some pictures!  Tweev needs this, he Jonsin' heeya

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited November 2011
    If I could figure out how to post pictures I would show you some sliced pork. I made the best sandwiches with sliced butt. They just wouldn't have been as good if they were pulled. Variety is the spice of life and sometimes a good thing.

What is Jonsin?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Attach file link just below where you type a message.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Doesn't work on the iPad. None of the buttons work. Not even a preview before sending.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Not that I in any way want to agree with Tweev but he's right. Here in the midwest we slice butts into steaks and cook them that way. They're called pork steaks and around here a pork steak sandwich is as good as it gets.