Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What smoking chips to use for roast beef?

Options
Ham and Egg
Ham and Egg Posts: 28
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a roast beef this afternoon, and was wondering what the group has used for smoke flavour.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Bushgator
    Options

I use mesquite when I do  beef

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Me too, but no more than 3 hrs. then switch to something sweet because too much mesquite can be bitter.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    If you can get your hands on some Red Oak, give it a try. We really like it.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • canoeandcue
    Options
    I did a standing rib roast last wed. for my inlaws. I used hickory chips (just a little) Very delicious....We could still taste some nice smoke flavor in our 2 day leftovers. Everyone has there own tast pref. You will probably not go wrong with any of theese recomendations. IMO do not oversmoke for your 1st run. especially with an expensive piece of meat. Good luck!
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Another vote for Mesquite, but in moderation. My experience has shown beef takes the stronger woods like Mesquite and Hickory very well.  But use them cautiously.  My worst smoke ever was beef and Mesquite.  Used the wood far too long and end product was almost uneatable....hidious.  Keep the sweeter fruit woods for fowl and pork.  Good luck.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I too find that oak is a great choice for beef.  If you have some Jack Daniels soaked oak wood chips, so much the better.  But as mentioned above, go easy on the smoke.  Rib raosts don't need it for flavor.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ham and Egg
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm about 2 hours into the roast, used a very modest amount of mesquite.  Will switch to hickory/sweet maple for finishing.  Using the drippings to make Yorkshire pudding which I will smoke while the roast rests before serving....while we eat - heat up the pumpkin pie with hickory too.  Can't wait.  gonna be good times...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I too find that oak is a great choice for beef.  If you have some Jack Daniels soaked oak wood chips, so much the better.  But as mentioned above, go easy on the smoke.  Rib raosts don't need it for flavor.
    I agree. JD chips are the bomb! If you ever see tobasco chips give them a try. Tobasco buys a lot of the barrels that JD is finished with and use them for several batches and then has them chipped. I'm not a big fan of extra smoke but they are incredible.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

Didn't know about the Tabasco version but will turn up the search. FWIW-I told my wife when we got married (29+ years on) that it didn't matter what she cooked, I could always standardize the taste with Tabasco-haven't recovered yet:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Squeezy
    Options

Tabasco, that's the chili head's version of ketchup ... there are so many 'better' chili sauces out there .... oh... and Frank's isn't one of them!

• Little Steven
    Options

Dude,

I have over 1000 bottles of hot sauce in my collection and don't know why you thought I needed the pointer. Dave or Blair don't sell chips

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    Options
    Don't even know why I brought it up ... sorry LS ... must let coffee kick in before attacking the keyboard ... 8-|