Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porcelain Turkey Steamer and 18 lb brined bird

AUWAG
AUWAG Posts: 73
edited November 2011 in Poultry
I am cooking an 18 lb bird that will have been brined about 30 hours tomorrow morning on the porcelain turkey steamer. I plan to pour a full beer and several spices into it to keep it moist. Should I put all of this straight on the grill, the platesetter with legs up or down, or on the v rack somehow. I know this is late notice but I am hoping this bird turns out to be the best ever. Thanks!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

ºProbably too late ... but legs up, perhaps a drip pan. Keep your temps up to 350º ot 400º and you  should be fine! 

Updates please!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • AUWAG
    Well my newborn son was in the NICU about an hour away from home. My wife was chomping at the bit to get there early Thanksgiving morning so we could be with him then come back to be with my family. I had the Egg fired up and at 310 around 7:30. I put the bird on the steamer(Natural Light, Tony's, Black and Cayenne Pepper, and some Cavender's in the mix all in the steamer) and set it on the Egg. We left at 7:45 without me being confident in the temperature. My brother was frying a turkey so we had a backup but of course I had been talking up my BGE turkey(my brother also has a BGE). We returned home around 12:15 and the temperature had not changed and the bird was great!! The skin was super crispy and the bird was super moist. I did the buttermilk brining recipe mentioned on the forum earlier and rubbed it down with some Beer Can Chicken from McCormick's. Didn't do a dry run but thankfully the BGE proved itself once again!!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I hope all is well with your little fellow.

With the buttermilk brine did your turkey have a tasty sweet taste to it like fried chicken that has been buttermilk brined?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • AUWAG
    The turkey just seemed a lot more moist than it generally is when I have eaten it. I think the buttermilk brine and steamer both contributed to this. 
  • Where did you get the turkey steamer?
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    where can i find the recipe for the buttermilk brine - thanks

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Buttermilk brine could be something as simple as a quart of buttermilk. That's what I use on chicken. You could add salt and spices of your choice like sage, rosemary and thyme. All yummmmmy.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !