Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Negotiating BGE Price

nineee
nineee Posts: 41
edited November 2011 in Forum List

We have only 2 dealers in my small town and only one has a selection of BGEs.  The other only has a medium.  At first I thought the medium would be enough.  There are only two of us and we don't entertain.  I primarily want to smoke pork butt, brisket and turkey. 

Have any of you negotiated on the price dealers ask?  Both these places are comparable in price but one charges $30 delivery fee.  I'm afraid I'll regret buying the medium but price is a factor for me.  Any suggestions? 

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I like my large ... nuff said!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Are they going to deliver and assemble for thirty bucks? I would take that deal all day long.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I recommend large. Delivery and set up can be a pain. I like the free delivery.
  • I assume the guy with the medium can order a large, for example?  Is he going to stop carrying them if he sells the medium?  I'd say a dealer who only carries a single medium isn't really a dealer.  He probably doesn't have all the accessories you might want or need either.  But you could certainly quote one's price to the other to see if you can get a match if the dealer you like is higher.  They might toss in some charcoal or accessories.  You can only ask....

And of course, if you can get to an Eggfest, you could get a large demo probably for the price of a medium or close to it.  Certainly a hefty discount that might let you go for a large.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I nefotiated with two dealers. The one I bought my egg from had a special going and that was final price. The other one told me to bring him any price I got below his. I brought him the price and he told me he coul not match, To go with the other dealer. There is some wriggle room to negotiate.
    I always try, only an idiot would refuse a sale for negotiating. Most will say yes or no. Good luck.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • nineee

OK, Little Steven says delivery price plus set up is worth it and that is what they offer. They will assemble and we need that 'cuz neither husband nor I have those skills. Plus they have all the accessories which the other guy does not.

Thanks everyone for your suggerstions.  I certainly appreciate it.  Nineee

• I was just trying to understand the charge. In most businesses vendors will throw in stuff that they get a discount on because it isn't real money. Get them to throw in a platesetter, pizza stone and any other hard accessories. Don't take BGE lump. Tis the season and the dealer is probably looking at sitting on the egg for six months

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• We, too, have two dealers. One is $125 more for the large and charges $50 to deliver. The cheaper one not only delivers and sets up, he adds charcoal,electric fires starter, and other goodies.
  • nineee
    I am going to negotiate for a better deal plus the plate setter and see where it gets me.  Thanks for the input.  Nineee