Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Placement

Options
Trailblazer1229
Trailblazer1229 Posts: 69
edited November 2011 in Poultry
Preparing my first Thanksgiving Turkey on the Egg. Going with the NakedWhiz all the way. I do have a question about placement of the turkey and have searched the forum. My Turkey pan does not fit in the egg with the placesetter in legs-up.  The legs of the place setter are spaced a little too narrow for my pan.  So what I have done is placed the grid in its normal spot and layed the pizza stone on top, for indirect cooking.  I then used the ceramic egg feet to create space between the pan and the pizza stone.  Will this give me enough indirect heating?  Or shall I spring for an inexpensive aluminum pan that will fit in between the legs on the inverted plate setter?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    If it fits you will be fine. I like to put the legs toward the hinge side which is typically hotter. Keep some foil handy in case the breast darkens up too much. Loosely cover the breast with foil if it does. Icing the breast for an hour really helps too. You may want to take the clip off the dome thermo in case you end up in contact with the bird. You can slide it out a little to avoid false low readings

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Trailblazer1229
    Options
    Consensus is about 15 min/lb un-stuffed at 325-350?
  • Little Steven
    Options

Yes. If you have an original thermo not the Teltru, it would be a good idea to check it in boiling water beforehand. If you want stuffing this works well.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=187&func=view&catid=1&id=523235#523235

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I was getting ready to fire up the egg for a big cook getting ready for the eggfest This weekend and I thought I would calibrate the thermometer. It was right on. I light the egg and after 20 minutes it still says just a little over 200. 15 minutes later the same thing. I lifted the lid and flames were everywhere. I shut the lid and it jumps to 700. I adjusted the vents to try to stabilize it. 15 minutes later and it's reading 200. Tap, tap, tap, and 2 minutes later it's 400. It was a fun cook and I took the thermometer back today and got a new one. Sooooo just because you calibrate doesn't mean you are home free and I now have the new teltru and hope it works a lot better.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !