Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

I know the turkey questions are about to wear everyone out, but I was just informed that I am to cook the turkeys for our office gathering on Wednesday. I need to know approximate cooking time for indirect smoking of 4 turkey breast. I have NEVER smoked a turkey of any kind or shape.

Need some pointers, the whole office expects great things since I brought the last few boston butts and brisketts.

Comments

• BMFD
    BMFD Posts: 25
    They will not take long, 1.5 hours cooking indirect at 325 to 350, 

I pat mine dry, rub with olive oil then put Lowerys seasoning salt on them,, come out awesome!!  I generally never smoke them but this year I am going to add a little apple wood,, just a tad to give some extra taste. 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I cooked 4 boneless turkey breast direct, raised grid at 350 and mopped (I can't use the baste word) with honey, molasses and seasoned salt until 160. They were pretty big and took a little over a hour.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • So I go to the store and they only have two 7lb breast and two 14lb turkeys both fresh, didn't want frozen, not enough time to thaw.

Now I am really lost, the XL BGE is not gonna hold all of them at once.
  • Piece it out. cut it will be easy to fit on the grill.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Click on the link below to watch a video on cooking turkey breasts.  He cooked two at a time and said he could probably have fit three.  But, he didn't say what size egg he was using.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/dr-bbqs-holiday-turkey/
  • Grannyx4, I'm gonna mop mine too.  Gonna inject with a little honey butter and mop with it also.  Should make a pretty glaze. Learned my lesson using the "B" word.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Funny, I may be a little gray but I have learned not to use the "B" word too.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As above, just cut the breast portions out (or cut away everything that is not breast.) An XL should fit 4 breasts. You can put them on touching if the fit is tight, and move them apart as they shrink during cooking.

Altho the Egg is often billed the "worlds best smoker," for your purposes, just think of it as as a ceramic oven that can have some smoke. For some reason, turkey always seems to get done a bit faster in the Egg than in my kitchen oven.

If you can, brine the breasts. If not enough time, place them over pans with some aromatic liquids (juice, wine, herb teas), and the steam will speed the cook a little, and save some time. Ramp the temp up in the last half hour to crisp.
  • One more question as my birds get up to temp...

I always foil and towel wrap my beef and pork and stuff in a cooler, does the same hold true for turkey?