Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boy does the BGE get hot

Minkoff
Minkoff Posts: 25
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Grilled prime dry aged rib eyes from Allan brothers at 750 degrees, yummy.
I also had my iron skillet in there, it was so hot that the BGE cleaned off the years of build up on the outside of the skillet.

Comments

• I've measured 1300 degrees at the grid level when the dome was saying 800ish.  Yes it gets rocket hot.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I burned the seasoning right off my cast iron griddle while blackening steaks.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    @Davekatz - was that by design?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    edited August 2011
    @Davekatz - was that by design?

Nope
    :(.  It re-seasoned easy enough, bit I'll have to be a little more careful next time.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    edited September 2011
    I wasn't going to mention this little "incident" but this thread title is too appropriate.

Last weekend I was cooking a steak for my wife.  She likes her rib eyes CHARRED so I took out the fire ring and put the grate on the fire box, right over the coals.

When I went to take the steak off the grill (2 minutes per side and it was *done*) I quickly realized that the Egg was so hot I couldn't reach inside with my tongs to take it out.  So I dashed into the house and threw on an oven mitt.  Burped the Egg, reached inside, and grabbed the steak, holding my tongs in the oven mitt. 

The steak came out perfect!  As I was carrying it into the house, like a proud papa, I thought, "Wow, the Egg gets HOT.  I can still feel the heat coming through my mitt."

It wasn't until I reached for the knob on the back door before I realized that the damn mitt was ON FIRE.  Not just smouldering -- there were honest to god flames licking up!  I almost dropped the steak but I managed to rush inside and set it on the counter before sticking my flaming appendage under some tap water in the sink.

Sort of a scary moment, but I didn't get burned.  May have to figure out another way to retrieve my steaks, though. 
    :-))
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Oh for a YouTube of THAT!!!!!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Get an extra long "Pig tail" tool!
  • It wasn't until I reached for the knob on the back door before I realized that the damn mitt was ON FIRE.  Not just smouldering -- there were honest to god flames licking up!  I almost dropped the steak but I managed to rush inside and set it on the counter before sticking my flaming appendage under some tap water in the sink.

Hilarious!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I can already visualize the recipe card - "Flaming Mitt Ribeyes."

I say, use the flaming mitt to make more of an entrance with the steaks. After all, any one can carry a steak in on a platter, but only an EggHead would bring one in, clasped in a flaming mitt. Raise the bar a bit on the WOW-factor a bit (not to suggest that a perfectly cooked ribeye wouldn't provide enough of a WOW-factor to begin with).