Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did you cook over the weekend?

The_Buffalo
The_Buffalo Posts: 455
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Good morning...hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!  Share with us what you cooked this weekend. For me it was a tomato and basil pizza...you just can't beat a pizza baked on the EGG!
Coming to you from the Mothership!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

You are so right there!

I just did some ABTs, however today it will be pizza and tomorrow will be a pastrami ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • nice...you know I've never made ABTs before...I'll have to do that this week!
  • Squeezy
    edited November 2011

Oh my ... you must!  There are many ways to make 'em, but after trying several ways, I use this method all the time, because it is quicker and easier to prepare, also I only use a half slice of bacon per piece ( and my heart thanks me for it)

I pkg. of cream cheese seasoned any way you like

12 to 14 jalapeños

12 to 14 rashers of bacon

Split lengthwise, seeded, stuffed and wrapped over the top and tucked under the stem end, with or without toothpicks. I don't use them (they will stay together if handled gently)

I like to start low-n-slow for an hour to get some smoke on 'em and the go to abut 300º until the bacon looks done to your liking ....

@JNLC ... that looks phenominal!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My Egg cooking was some beef dino bones, and a couple of pounds of kielbasa.

My experiment was (don't go "eeeuw!") deviled pork heart, which was a variation on the River Cottage Everday recipe for deviled lamb hearts. It was really good.

Pork hearts, like beef hearts, which I have cooked many times, are full of connective strands, and the whole muscle is in a heavy sheath. With beef, there is enough meat that there is plenty left after trimming all the fibers and blood vessels. The pork was small enough that without spending an hour, I couldn't shave enough off that i wasn't left with something that was still about half connective tissue.

So I cut the hearts in 8, put them in sous vide bags with a bit of canola oil and salt, and dropped them in the water bath for 48 hours. The cooked pieces were just a tad chewier than a good beef baloney. My initial plan was to skewer them, and finish on the Egg with some sort of sauce.

Along the way, I came across the deviled sauce recipe.  Diced the hearts, and browned in a few tablespoons of oil. Deglazed with some port and a stock made from leftover rib chine bones. Reduced, and added wooster, mustard, cayenne, and a dollop of honey. Finished with some heavy cream, salt, and black pepper. Served on thick sliced toast. Both my wife and son looked aghast when I told them what we were having, but both had to admit it was really good.
  • Pre-game crazy. 6 pound pork loin, with 2 stuffed layers of dried apples, cashews, and raspberry sauce. covered in a blanket of bacon. Ay-Yi-Yi.......

GreyGoose
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Friday I did 2 beer can chickens.  One with BGE Sweet Maple seasoning, the other with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust. For a side, I made potato bombs grilled alongside the chicken.

Saturday lunch: Did two home made pepperoni, red pepper, sundried tomato, and feta cheese thin crust pizzza's on the pizza stone.

Saturday Supper: Alder planked salmon with Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub.  Just made some simple flavored rice inside the house to go with it.

Sunday my better half took over inside the house and made Broiled Parmesan Tilapia with broccoli and rice for lunch, then Turkey chili for supper.

It was a great weekend of eating :)

Frank
  • You better hold on to that better half...."Broiled Parmesan Tilapia with broccoli and rice for lunch" I'm lucky to get a PB&J  :(
  • My first post since being "accepted" to the fourm!

Cowlick Chili!

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

We had the best piece of meat I ever cooked!! I've been a Weber gas guy for 35 years, but now I'll just use the Weber to keep things warm that don't fit on the Egg.

I bought a crayovaced whole top sirlion at Costo, USDA Choice, they call it a top block. Trimmed it up and removed the top cap. The cap is what I cooked, after you trim the cap in looks like a tri-tip in shape and size.

Season it with Big Bad BBQ All Purpose Rub, basically salt, pepper, garlic and dried parsley. It's similar to Susie Q Santa Maria Rub. Seared it on both sides for 2 minutes each on a cast iron grate at 600. Removed it and added some red oak chucks and dropped the temp. to 375. Put it back on the adjustable rig with the grill at the felt line. Cooked for a little less than an hour to the internal temp. of 140, pulled it off and foiled it for 15 minutes. I can still taste it this morning, can't wait for lunch and a sandwich from the lef overs

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Squeezy

My first post since being "accepted" to the fourm!

Cowlick Chili!

Welcome! =D>
  • Thanks.  Been lurking here a long time!
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Squeezy
    So tell us about Cowlick Chili?
  • Squeezy
    Not touchin' that bet with a steer horn ... you probably have the inside story already ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Fatties, sausage cheese balls and piri-piri chicken wings, all cooked at the Plano Outlaw eggfest.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• My first post since being "accepted" to the fourm!

Cowlick Chili!

Welcome
  • Friday morning I seasoned a huge T bone with DP, Lawreys and slathered it with a little grey puopon. Left it bagged with a little worchester and EVOO. Seared and finished Fri night. Oh my goodness.
  • 5 lb Pork Loin. It was first time I cooked one. cooked it to 180 for slicing. I got three from Kroger on sale for 2 bucks a pound. and  2 racks of St Louis Style.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    edited November 2011
    Brisket. More beef. Alot of pork. Every thing we ate, even veggies. The oven is now a pot storage facility.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Beef stew in the CI Dutch Oven. I put too much wine in the stock and my wife complained.
    I love my egg.
  • My first pizza's on my Egg over here in Scotland. Just perfect! My nine year old wants a pizza party for his friends!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I made 2 whole boneless turkey breasts, a 5 hour brisket flat and I'm brining 2 butts for buckboard bacon. It was a fun weekend except the grand baby lost his playoff football game.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Hey GrannyX4, sorry your grandson lost his game. We went thru same last year but his 7th & 8th grade team won yesterday, Toy Bowl Champs.
  • Friday - pizzas.

Saturday - Hosted my girls (twins) 5th birthday party; cooked about 10 sliders and 15 or so full 50/50 burgers; and then for the parents 'after-party' we fired up a bunch of Oktoberfest sausages! 

Then Sunday was a straight forward steak and sweet potato night.

Now Monday...after consulting the scale...it was soup night.

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    edited November 2011
    Ham, you can cook soup on the EGG.  I expect that will not be an excuse next time!
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Drumsticks, indirect, tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper, and Spade L Ranch poultry rub.  Tasty!
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • LOL - I could do the soup - but then, I'd probably start getting creative, throwing in bacon, summer sausage, and a couple of baguettes on there...and, some cheese of course.  I'm getting hungry just writing!

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Burr-Baby, congrats on GB football game. It's all fun. I was able to get some great pictures of him to create great memories. He scored 11 touchdowns this season.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Pheasant paella. Pheasant are kind of small compared to chicken, so I used two birds. Next time I'll only use one bird -- too much meat.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    i cooked hot cherry peppers stuffed with garlic and sausage. 18 cherry peppers cut of the tops clean out inside, add slice of garlic then stuff them with loose sausage i used asmall pan and baked them at 425 for 30 minuted. added a wet hickory chunck for last ten minutes.been making them for years in oven. tried them on my 1 month old egg came out perfect