Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometers: Which one is the best??

Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 57
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Would love to hear what everyone is using. I would like to have one that monitors the grate temp as well as the internal temp of the meat. Has anyone used the iGrill Thermometer? 
Thanks in advance for everyones help 

Comments

• joe317
    joe317 Posts: 28
    I have the iGrill thermometer that I currently use with my Weber gas grill. It works well, but can be a little quirky at times. If you have your iPhone set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time of inactivity, it can lose connection to the temperature probe. All you need to do though is wake up the phone and go back into the iGrill app and it reestablishes connection. You also can use it without the iPhone since the probe plugs into an external monitor that displays the temperature. I do like watching the meat temperature rise on the graph displayed on the iPhone. They also have a screen that looks just like a regular meat thermometer so you can watch the needle rise also.
  • My BBQ guru digiQ dx has a grate probe and meat probe. I also use a thermapen for instant reads.

I see no variation in grate temp when it is choked down and on the guru so I watch the meat temp.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    If the iGrill had 2 probes, I would have got one. I got the Maverick ET-732 instead.
    http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm
  • Being that the iGrill communicates via Bluetooth, my question would be what is the advantage of monitoring temperature from approximately 30 feet versus just checking the temperature occasionally? 

Bluetooth is designed for very low power
    use, and the transmission range will only be about 30 feet. 

High-powered Bluetooth devices will enable ranges up to 300 feet but the cost to accomplish this would probably put you in or exceed the price range of a Stoker which can be controlled over a smart phone from anywhere visa the internet. 

Just a thought
  • As a side note, I like using the Thermoworks Original Cooking Thermometer/Timer Model #TW362B. For $19.00 this is hard to beat. It works like a champ! I also use the Thermapen.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Another vote for the Maverick. I have the older model 73 and am looking forward to getting the 732 soon.  It makes monitoring temperatures very easy and overnight cooks are not stressful any more.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I am using the BGE Pen style therm.  I am not excited about the length of time it takes to reach the temp.  Prior to purchasing it I did not realize the value of getting a quick reading.  It seems to take all of 20 seconds or more to get close to the actual temp.  I find I do more guessing as a result because I don't want to leave the egg open that long.  I live in Minnesota.  I am sure I will want an even faster reading as the winter hits us.
  • Been using the Maverick ET-73 for over 8 years.  I'll get the ET-732 IF if ever dies.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I've been using the ET-732 and it works great.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Another vote for the Maverick. I have the older model 73 and am looking forward to getting the 732 soon.  It makes monitoring temperatures very easy and overnight cooks are not stressful any more.

+1
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Glad to hear this, I just ordered a Maverick ET 732 this past weekend and am anticipating it's arrival :)

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I am using the BGE Pen style therm.  I am not excited about the length of time it takes to reach the temp.  Prior to purchasing it I did not realize the value of getting a quick reading.  It seems to take all of 20 seconds or more to get close to the actual temp.  I find I do more guessing as a result because I don't want to leave the egg open that long.  I live in Minnesota.
    Get a Thermapen by Thermoworks for very quick readings.  Well worth the money.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    dont know how the new igrills work, but last winter the one i saw had preset meat temps, not a fan of those, would rather know the actual meat temp. the maverick has all the alarms and temp settings but it takes getting used to the logic to set it up. i like the maverick, dont toss the directions until you have used it a few times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I am using the BGE Pen style therm.  I am not excited about the length of time it takes to reach the temp.  Prior to purchasing it I did not realize the value of getting a quick reading.  It seems to take all of 20 seconds or more to get close to the actual temp.  I find I do more guessing as a result because I don't want to leave the egg open that long.  I live in Minnesota.
    Get a Thermapen by Thermoworks for very quick readings.  Well worth the money.

Yup ... what he said ... love mine!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Maverick ET-732 for long, slow cooks.
    Thermapen for checking doneness on everything else.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433

I forgot to mention, when ordering the Maverick ET 732, I also ordered a Thermoworks RT600C water resistant fast read thermometer to check small items.  Amazon sells for $24.95 so it's almost 1/4 of the price of the more expensive Thermoworks ThermoPen, so I figured I'd give it a try. It does say in the description that it takes 5-6 sec to get temp instead of 3 sec, but for the price difference I can live with that I think. 

http://www.amazon.com/RT600C-Super-fast-Water-resistant-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B002GE2XF8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320713021&sr=8-2

Frank