Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast, Inject or not

burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited October 2011 in Poultry
My son in law always fries 3 or 4 turkey breasts on Thanksgiving (big crowd).  This is my 1st year with BGE so I thought I would bring one done on on the egg.  He injects the fried breasts.  Is that recommended for one done on the egg?

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I injected some of my turkey breasts for moisture and didn't notice much difference ( butter, seasonings, and broth). If you want to inject with some hefty flavors then you might want to do a test run to see what you think.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    inject for flavor,  not moisture.

injections and brining offer no real benefit for 'retaining moisture' in the egg.  flavor, sure.  mositure, no real need
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Also depends whether skin is off or on. If you add some Instacure to the brine, you will have a very nice ham like texture which not everyone likes but I sure do.   Makes great sandwiches, hot or cold.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Squeezy I am not convinced on the Instacure, that is a nitrate/salt product meant for use in sausage, I don't think anybody's diet is nitrated deficient.  Nitrates are nasty things, especially for children and pregnant women.  In sausage people would rather eat nitrates than get botulism but in a turkey breast there is no functional advantage to adding it.

Just my thoughts

Gerhard
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I only mentioned it as pertaining to giving it a ham like texture. It is found in a lot more products than sausage (curing ham, bacon, jerky, etc.) and is still not as bad as MSG which bothers me much more.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    don't feed your kids celery or spinach or beets or turnips, or.... well. you get the point...  nitrates occur naturally in many foods, which your body converts to nitrites

all things in moderation.

water will kill you too, if you have too much of it.

• stike
    ...and the MSG thing is completely unfounded.  never been a double-blind test to prove it.

glutamate occurs also naturally, in many foods.  i wonder if they bother you too.
    just saying.
    hahahaha
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2011
    Also, glutamate is the major contributor to umami. Not fish sauce as many believe

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Glutamates are found in tomato paste, anchovies and lots of other foods.  Everything should be done in moderation, including moderation.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Not to mention most old cheeses, cabbage, fish and shellfish, cured meats and leafy green vegetables

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I injected some turkeys when I first started. Now I don't, I could nOt tell a difference. Most cooks I know do not inject.
    But like all cooking, it's the way you like it and what you have the most confidence in.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    MSG has a laxative effect on my wife so not used in our house.  While you are enjoying your heaping spoon of nitrate why not go all the way and paint your food too.  The idea of cooking at home to me is to know what is in it and feel comfortable with it, but different strokes for different folks.

Gerhard

• stike
    a heaping spoon is not moderation.  when the defenseless get defensive, they chose hyperbole.
  • stike
    edited November 2011
    i don't think anything in the bit you quoted contradicts that.

is english your second language?

i said, "if you want to inject, have a ball. but do it for flavor, not to add moisture".  in the egg, you will retain moisture well enough that brining is unnecessary.  sure, if you over cook it, you will dry it out.  brining does add a measure of protection for those who just love to watch the stupid red thing pop on their turkey.  in an oven it'd be dry, in the egg, at 180, you'd have a little moisture.  but anyone cooking a turkey til that thing pops ought not to bother cooking a turkey in the first place.

christ, buddy.  am i your frigging moby ****?  still trying to slay the white whale or something...
  • Now that was pretty funny

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    hey steven., can you put in a nice word for me with gerhardt?  he's angry that i went off on you.  maybe if you threatend me, it would make it equal.  like, something about how people from boston are arrogant and nasal and all.  that would maybe do it.

• Sike, for what it is worth, I consider you confident and knowledgeable. A guy like me that's got a lot to learn will always read your comments.
  • I think we should just all agree to cook how we like and let the people decide whom to believe.  Friends only accomplish what enemies can"t.  Heyyyo!!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.