Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cow Lickin' Chili Time!!

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Cooler weather brings out the chili fetish in me!  Here is my chili recipe as of yesterday........I'm hopin' this is the final version. Thanks to Cookin' Biker I've now substituted the cocoa powder with Baker's Semi-Sweet chocolate squares. It adds a new and flavorful dimension to an already pretty complex chili. Try it sometime....... 

Cow Lickin’ Chili 

Ingredients : 

Olive Oil 
1.5 - 2 lbs. ground Chuck 
1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed) 
2 cups Onion (chopped) 
1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped) 
2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine) 
1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine) 
1 Tbs. Garlic (minced) 
1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid 
1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid 
1 can Rotel 
2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained) 
1 can (29 oz.) Hominy (drained) - optional 
3 Tbs. Chili Powder 
1 Tbs. Ancho Chile Powder 
1.5 Tbs. ground Cumin 
2 (1 oz.) squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate 
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon 
2 Bay Leaves 
1 tsp. dried Oregano 
3 Tbs. DP Cow Lick Steak Rub 
2 cups Beef Broth 
1 cup Dry Red Wine 
2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top 
*Note : you may want to remove the seeds from these dried peppers before adding so they don't release during cooking. 

Wood Chunks 

Preparation: 

Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up). 
Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals. 
Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil. 
Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). 
Close lid and cook until all the meat is browned, stirring every few minutes. 
Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels. 
Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels. 
Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. 
Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 or more hours (add water as needed to prevent drying). 
Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees. 
Remove bay leaves, dried chiles and serve. 

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    edited September 2011
    Fall is Chili time and your recipe looks awesome. I got a DO last year at a Lodge outlet and have only used it for BBQ beans I got from the BGE cookbook (they turned out great), but I want to try more. Your chili is up next, then maybe some bread.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Sounds like a good recipe ... have you ever tried black beans instead?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • egret
    Fallbis Chili time and your recipe looks awesome. I got a DO last year at a Lodge outlet and have only used it for BBQ beans I got from the BGE cookbook (they turned out great), but I want to try more. Your chili is up next, then maybe some bread.

Yep, had a bowl for lunch today along with some fresh homemade sourdough! :-))
  • egret
    Sounds like a good recipe ... have you ever tried black beans instead?

Sure enough! I alternate between pintos, kidneys and black beans......it's all good! :-))
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Great recipe/  I tweaked it a bit but that is my base.  Thanks for sharing.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    WHEN WILL THIS MADNESS STOP?

All this talk of tomatoes, beans, the kitchen sink, hominy, oregano. It's all just crazy talk. ;>)
  • egret
    WHEN WILL THIS MADNESS STOP?

All this talk of tomatoes, beans, the kitchen sink, hominy, oregano. It's all just crazy talk. ;>)
    Eat your heart out, sunfish! Want me to reveal the voting results again??! :))
  • Sounds like a winner John! 
  • Egret,
    Being a Texan, I hate to admit that your recipe is the best I've tried.

But, of course, I have to tweak it.  It's all Pinto beans, no sausage - just hamburger meat, no hominy, and I still use cocoa powder.  Also, for rub, I use Texas BBQ rub.  Still, good recipe, mi amigo.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I'm going to try this recipe tonight.  What would be the advantage of using cocoa powder instead of the sqares?  And how much powder would you use for this recipe?
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    also I've never used hominy before.  Does it make the chilli better?
  • egret
    I'm going to try this recipe tonight.  What would be the advantage of using cocoa powder instead of the sqares?  And how much powder would you use for this recipe?
    I found the advantage to be using the chocolate squares instead of the cocoa powder. It adds a subtle taste difference........I would add 1 teaspoon cocoa powder in place of the chocolate.
    also I've never used hominy before.  Does it make the chilli better?

The hominy adds a nice touch. I like it better with it, but, it's strictly optional. I used this recipe for years before I added the hominy as an experiment. Hominy is better known west of the Mississippi as posole!
  • I made this Chili today and it is the BEST that I've ever made. I did not use the hominy but it is still so yummy.  I'm gonna go share with the neighbors. They will love it! 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Egret,

Getting cool here - 77 today and I'm starting to think chili and this recipe sounds awesome. If it's anything like your ham then it's golden but why do you drain the fat from the chili? Fat equals flavor.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • egret
    Egret,

Getting cool here - 77 today and I'm starting to think chili and this recipe sounds awesome. If it's anything like your ham then it's golden but why do you drain the fat from the chili? Fat equals flavor.
    That's a true statement! Fat also equals fat! This chili has plenty of flavor going on without the extra fat. I also don't put raw meat on my pizza before cooking nor do I put a pan of veggies under a cooking chicken to gather all that fat! Just a personal preference........ :-O
  • egret
    I made this Chili today and it is the BEST that I've ever made. I did not use the hominy but it is still so yummy.  I'm gonna go share with the neighbors. They will love it! 
    Glad you liked it! Try it sometime with one of those large cans of hominy (drained).......also, you could add some masa harina for a little thickening and flavor. ;)
  • Squeezy
    Egret,

What part of 77 is cool? While I'm being stifled at 40 .... huh?
  • GrannyX4
    Thanks, Egret, I was wondering. Husband gets annoyed when he sees me draining the meat.

Squeeze, we like it hot. I had on long pants and the husband lit the fireplace yesterday. I could never live any further north than where we are.
  • Squeezy

Where's that ... Key West Florida?

• GrannyX4
    Just a little further north near the Mouse House.
  • Squeezy
    LOL!
  • GrannyX4
    Did that tickle you?
  • egret
    Just a little further north near the Mouse House.
    Are you planning on coming to the minifest in Melbourne this Thursday through Saturday? Several of us are going to be there cooking up a storm!!
  • GrannyX4
    We won't be able to make it this time. The husband just had hip replacement and isn't running too far right now. I'm trying to figure out if we will be able to make the one in Windermere on the 19th.

Happy cooking and I'll be looking forward to pictures.
  • Squeezy

Off hand, does anyone know of any eggfests in the western NY, Michigan, or Ohio areas in the coming year?

Yes Granny, that was cute!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Egret,

That's a true statement! Fat also equals fat! This chili has plenty of flavor going on without the extra fat. I also don't put raw meat on my pizza before cooking nor do I put a pan of veggies under a cooking chicken to gather all that fat! Just a personal preference........ :-O
    John you are a wimp!  -RP
    :)) :))
  • Thank you! Made over the weekend and it was fantastic! Followed recipe to the letter..
  • I made the Cow Lickin' Chili today.  I thought it was very good.  Not super hot, but it has a good burn to it.  My wife and two daughters didn't like it.  They could pick up on the cocoa and cinnamon.  It didn't taste good to them.  Of course, all the guys love it.  I never tried the cocoa and cinnamon combo before.  They definitely give it a unique flavor that blends well with the heat.  I have heard of recipes with brown sugar added.  I wonder how that would taste?

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Just wanted to bump this thread after making this chili Sunday morning. Thanks egret, it was fantasmical!
  • egret
    DawgDays said:
    Just wanted to bump this thread after making this chili Sunday morning. Thanks egret, it was fantasmical!
    Glad you liked it.......and, thank you!