Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fitting 2 pork shoulders on Plate Setter ??

Options
bschroed
bschroed Posts: 29
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am needing to cook enough pulled pork to feed 20-25 guys . Would it be possible to put 2 butts using the plate setter , if they hang over it ???  Thinking that the part that hangs over will burn, or cook right .   Any comments or ideas ?? I have the large egg.

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Directly on the plate setter? I never cook directly on the plate setter, unless I'm cooking chili in a camp style Dutch oven. It's too close to the heat source. I would put the setter in feet up, and figure out how to arrange the meat on the grill(s). Put a drip pan on the plate setter.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    no problem, do as troutgeek says, use a large round drip pan that extends past edges of P/S.. i cook three at a time this way (they start of touching but shrink by end of cook)
    Kent Madison MS
  • hoppy
    hoppy Posts: 16
    Options

If your BGE is a large, I fit two 9-10 lb. boston butts on my smoker.

As others stated, place the plate setter legs up, and place the two butts directly on the grill.

There will be enough gap between the two to circulate the smoke between the meats.

Good luck.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Agreed- two butts is no problem at all.  If the butt is hanging over the platesetter it might dry out that portion a little, but many folks cook them this way and don't worry about it.  I personally like to keep all the meat protected so I use a drip pan big enough like BBQMaven suggested.  In this pic I squished 2 drip pans together. 

...cooked 2 8# butts, and as you can see there is room to spare:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.