Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attended EggFest Today.

new egghead
new egghead Posts: 1
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest

I went this year for the first. I'm still trying to decide if it is what I expected. I say this because I thought I would have seen a large number of vendors there selling their wares. Only to find out from another disappointed attendee that this was not allowed this year. What gives??

On another note the fest was great and the food outstanding..

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Welcome aboard!!  This was also our first Eggtoberfest.  I was also surprised there were no vendors allowed.  We all know this is about the BGE, but they better get a clue and realize there are a lot of vendors products that enhance the BGE.  That, and turn the friggen music down so you can actually hear someone when they speak!!!!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    edited October 2011
    First Eggfest here too! Won't be my last but next one might. First the cooks that did the demos were outright phenomenal I just about ate myself into a coma. had a blast riding in the pace car and had an all around good time,but I wish there was more vendors selling there wares and spice rubs and such. And Bowhunr the music was LOUD!! I hope all the new egg owners out there enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Was our first time too...was pretty cool getting out of the car on the infield and being blasted with the sounds of stock cars on the track and the aromas food cooking mixed with charcoal smoke...I was having sensory overload before we even got into the Fest.  The music being loud didn't bother me at all but it probably wasn't the best idea to put Dr. BBQ that close to the stage.  Now I can't wait to fire up my new once used Egg.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Not having vendors there was a horrible idea. Friday night was much better this year as far as the food goes but Saturday there were like 40 eggs set up not being cooked on. This years Friday was better and last years Saturday was better. Over all it was fun though.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Last year was my first EGGtoberfest and they had vendors. I went back this year hoping to pick up some Carnivore sauce from Big un and restock on some Dizzy Pig rubs that are running low, but no luck this year. I hope they change it back for next year. Also, what was with all the empty cooking spots?
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Spoon, I believe the empty egg spots were the result of there being no charge for the cooks this year.  My guess is that some people signed on as cooks to get the free pass and then just walked around and enjoyed the festival for nothing.

This is a tough call for the organizers.  I mean, I spent about $150 on food and my brother and his wife over $200.  It always seemed silly to charge the cooks money on top of that, but now I see why they do it.  My recommendation is to charge each cook $20, provide them with a bag of charcoal as you run out so quickly at the Eggfest.  Also, I would require a cook check-in by 9 am; otherwise, I would force them to pay the difference between a cook ticket and general admission ticket.  Some cheap skate will simply pay the $20 and then sell the bag of charcoal for $10 once he gets in to the festival.

In summary, if you can't be there and set-up by 9 am as a cook, you shouldn't be cooking that day anyway.  You only have six-hours so may as well give the spot to someone who will maximize it. 

• This was our 6th Eggtoberfest and enjoyed it much more than last year.  It is good to know that BGE saw their mistakes and heard comments about last years event.  They made a huge inprovement in returning to the catered Friday night meet and greet.  Remember, A customer that complains is still a customer.  You lose the ones that say nothing and simply walk away.

It was a great idea being able to pull up to unload the cooking equipment.

I too missed the outside vendors, but if Ford was having a customer appreciation event, would they invite GM???   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The vendors at the event enhance the BGE product line they didn't compete. I'll give it one more year and if they don't bring the vendors back it will be my last year. My opinion the Saturday event went backwards this year.
  • It was my first Eggtoberfest and it was a blast. All the cooks did an outstanding job. I would have liked to seen other vendors products, but I saved a lot of money without them being there. I will be back next year and hopefully the vendors will be too.
  • We hag a great time. I will be back next year, and the next,and the next, vendors or not. 
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    edited October 2011

Having attended several Eggtoberfests as a cook- but not this year- I have to VEHEMENTLY disagree with the premise of charging cooks for this event. I do not fault BGE because it gets immediate ROI for the company. Think about it. You offer cooks free admission for the opportunity to demo your (BGE) product and basically sell it to the masses. Anyone that has ever attended Eggtoberfest knows this-  a brilliant idea by the BGE folks.

The amount of money a cook wants to invest to "show-off" their cooking skills and recipes using the new BGE's provided is up to that individual. Nobody is expected to feed everyone but most cooks realize- it's a pride thing- that if you cook you'll need to turn-out a lot of food because there are a lot of folks that attend. And they will always eat whatever it is- whether it's even cooked or not!

From what I've read a there were many unused eggs- which leads me to think that while some may have used the "free" entry to be a taster instead, a lot of the cooks may have bailed due to trying to feed a lot of folks- that is what really makes it expensive. BGE is taking advantage- smartly- of the goodwill and "cult-like" following that the BGE has generated through the years to market and sell their product.

Those who elect to cook at this event do so knowing it is going to cost some money and time to churn-out food for the masses. They/ we do it because of the camaradery (sp?) and friendships made over the years.  

I'm sure if BGE decided to start charging cooks at Eggtoberfest then this event would be in serious trouble. I would doubt that they'd ever do that.

• Had a great time at my first eggfest! Loved getting new recipes/ideas, watching the demos, sharing eggsperiences, playing BGE corntoss, making new friends and eating all day long!  The music was a little loud but it was excellent quality music!  The Atlanta Motor Speedway was alive with activity with the eggfest, pace car rides and the driver training with real race cars screaming around the track. The weather was awesome during the day, I might rethink the camping part and go for a hotel next year.  It was a chilly 45 degrees and quite damp this morning, a little cool for a Florida girl.  Attached are some pics..

• Well, so much for the pics..getting an error  on the page while uploading. There must be a size limit.
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Great points EgginDawg. 

I think the only solution for improving the cooking situation is to incentivize more. The People's Choice recipe contest is a pretty good step in the right direction, however I'd hate to see Eggtoberfest turn into a straight up competition rather than a festival. My thought, though, is that if you have any intention to win the contest you've gotta cook something really good and you need to serve a LOT of it in order to get the votes. For these reasons it's a great direction. They just need to streamline the voting process a little more because I'm pretty sure the SAME PERSON should not have won 2nd and 3rd prize with that many cooks working!

I know I'm kinda rambling, but I think the cook's registration will always need to be on the honor system to a degree. I, for one, do not agree that the empty Eggs had much to do with cooks registering to cook and intentionally skipping it. The people who cook are all about the community of Big Green Eggers. This may just be a hunch, but I don't think many cooks plan to serve any fewer than 300-500 attendees. Obviously when registering, they click the Free cook's registration knowing full well they'll be spending several times over what the $30 registration would have been. It's a labor of love!
  • This was my first Eggfest also and it will not be my last. The wife and I enjoyed the day so much and really enjoyed all the GREAT food. My favorite was the Chicken Pot Pie, man that was tastey!!! Music was a little loud but like others have mentioned it shouldn't be that close to the cooking demo. I was the 12th vehicle in line to pick up my EGG and the wait was long but all the folks over by us was just relaxing and enjoying the day and the company. Planning on bringing a few more folks with me next year and October can't get here fast enough. 
  • My wife and I had a great time and it was worth the drive. If I was too offer suggestions that hopefully could be read by the BGE Eggtoberfet planners. I couldn't hear a word in the demo area at all. It was upsetting to say the least. Next, I really wanted to get some Dizzy Pig products while there. I did get to meet them, but no vendors, really? I did get some BGE accessories I needed.  Food was fantastic, I had to be rolled to the car. So many great chefs out there!!

• bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    My first eggfest. I took my buddy who got me into the whole egg lifestyle. We enjoyed it but we probably won't go again if there are no other vendors. And no discounts at all on the BGE brand stuff that they did sell? I loved talking with the cooks there but I did feel a little ripped off.