Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg and Table How to keep it safe.

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited October 2011 in Forum List
I have read a lot about fires and XL BGE, I understand using the feet is not only not recommended but they do not come with feet. 
I have built my table to allow a lot of air flow, but have concerns about the firebrick, can the heat get down through the gaps between the bricks, or with the air flow will I be ok? I thought about putting 4 fire bricks on top of these and leaving an air space, but seems that the BGE site says to put it directly on a a paver. 

I hate to ask a stupid question but want to enjoy my second egg and not worry about burning my BBQ area up. :)

Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• DominicMagestic
    DominicMagestic Posts: 110
    edited October 2011
    Options
    have you checked the clearance for the hinge with regard to clashing with the top of the table?  some folks let the hinge operate over the back of the table while others cut a slot in the top of the table for the hinge.  personally, i would use a one piece paver and then use four of the bricks on top of the paver to distribute the weight to the single piece paver and spread to provide some air gap in a cruciform fashion.  the fire bricks just don't look thick enough to me.

-----------------
    |          |        |          |
    |-----       -------
    |                              |
    |-----       -------
    ----------------
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    If I add a paver I believe it will be fine. I also may cover the wood with the cement grill pad to add a level of protection since I have a couple laying around here. 
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I had my XL on 10 fire bricks (on my old mobile table) similar to that.  No burning or charring issues.
    I just laid the fire bricks on solid board.  I used a brick configuration to make it wider in the middle so that there was full coverage on the bottom.  Not sure if that was necessary or not??

It's a little hard to see but here's a picture:image
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Pa_BBQ
    Options
    Thanks guys, I ended up putting a 24" paver under the fire bricks. 

Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Ham and Egg
    Options

Did similar with 18" paver with Large BGE - has been great, no issues of cracking, even in cool Canadian weather.

nice frame by the way