Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping BGE Outside in Winter

bschroed
bschroed Posts: 29
edited October 2011 in Forum Feedback
OK. I have my BGE that I would like to keep outside in the winter. I live in central Illinois, and middle of winter is around 20-30. 
Also, the  plate setter and baking stone I would like to keep in the BGE. Any of you do this???  Will it be ok on the Egg , platesetter and stone ? 
I just don`t  have room in my garage to keep it there. 

Comments

• I keep all my cookers outside in the winter in central NC, FWIW.  But even at colder temps, it's ok.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2011
    I leave everything outside all winter. I don't even bother
    covering my egg. I don't see that the weather hurts it at all. I keep
    my plate setter on a shelf that is exposed to the elements and no
    problems there either. I keep my electric starter, lump charcoal, smoke
    wood, gloves, pizza stone, etc all outside in one of those big outdoor
    storage bins (that you'd find at Menards or Fleet Farm) year round.

The only issue you may have (it happened only once last winter) is that due
    to rain and then a freeze right after, my lid froze shut! Like I said,
    it only happened once but I suppose a cover would solve that issue.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I had some of the same concerns. Not so much for the egg as to the thermometer. I was wondering if the extreme cold would have any affect on the calibration. BGE said it can withstand extreme hot or cold temps.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Great info. I cook 12 months out of the year. Winters get pretty cold here in Louisville,Ky and as a new egger I am amazed that we can bring a very cold egg up to sear temp without cracking, so old burr baby will love the egg in this winter.
  • None of you live in Canada so not covering up your Egg might be okay for Kentucky. You guys are not dipping into the below zero temps in the winter.

Although the ceramic would handle the - 15 F/ - 35 C weather, I am not sure the bolts, cast iron parts and hardware would hold up to a bitter cold Canadian winter day without rusting. Maybe the folks in Minnesota an the Dakota's would understand.

A cover would simply be peace of mind for me. Canadian winters can destroy things you would think were indestructible.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I've had mine outside, uncovered for thirteen years. No problems. Caledon,ON

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hey Charcoal, you are right...KY doesn't get those temps.  Jan and Feb we see below freezing on some days but nothing like Canada.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited October 2011
    egg covered with snow

egg cooking in snow

just a nice day on the lake

i dont cover my eggs
    imageimage
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    mine stays outside all winter too 
    context is important :)
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I cook on mine in Halifax in winter in temp below 31 degree c all the time in winter without any glitches! 
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    The only important thing is never light the egg with the 99% rubbing alcohol method in winter! The sudden rappid rise in tem can cause the fire box to split in half and your egg! This actually happened last winter to a good friend of mine. 
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i dont know if it was the rubbing alcohol method that cracked the box, they all seem to crack over time. ive even had an egg base crack during a 300 degree fall turkey cook, it can just happen. high temp cooks do crack fireboxes, i have one of the worst looking jigsaw puzzles out there for a firebox
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006

fish....that's what you get for cooking you pies at nuclear temps......

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I'm keeping mine covered to fend off bird ****, dirt, snow and ice. I like a clean start is all ... ~:>
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I guess I'm fortunate to live in Louisiana because it doesn't get that cold here like 30ish in the winter plus I have a open cover shop kind like a covered patio so I keep my egg so it is out of the direct weather . My neighbors go bonkers when i fire up my Egg around the holidays to eat some good Q.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen