Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza dough recipe

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a neapolitan-style pizza dough recipe. I used to be able to buy good dough balls at my local Weis Market, but they carry a different brand now, and it isn't very good.  Thanks.

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

This is the recipe that I have been using for several years...

15 oz Caputo "00" pizzaria flour (or 10 oz AP flour and 5 oz cake flour)

1 cup warm water (100 degrees F or so)

1 packet instant yeast (I use bulk SAF Red instant yeast 2 1/2 tsp)

1 tsp sugar

1 tbl kosher salt

1 tbl olive oil

Combine the water, sugar, and yeast in stand mixer bowl and let the yeast get started 5-10 minutes.  Turn the mixer on slow with dough hook and add the oil and salt then slowly add the flour.  Once all the flour has been added let it mix for a couple minutes and take a look and feel, if it is "crumbly" add a tablespoon of water, or if too sticky add a tsp or so flour  (go very light and slow with these addtions alot can to a long way)  then bump up the speed and let it knead for a couple minutes.

Put the dough ball in an olive oiled bowl cover and let rise,  I usually make mine in the morning for pizza for dinner,  the wife likes uber-thin crust and I cheat and use a rolling pin, it rolls better cold so I let it rise inthe fridge.  

Makes 4 12" or so round pies.  Made it last night, the kids love it!

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    Thanks. I look forward to trying it.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    This is the best site I have found for Pizza dough recipes. They have every dough you can imagine for every king of Pozza you can possibly make.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12132.0.html

My only caution is the site is very technical. A pizza novice might need to stock up on the Tylenol before reading some of the threads. There are a lot of Technical terms tossed around on the site with little help for beginners.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • 70chevelle
    Options

Depending on the temps you're cooking at, be careful with the oil & sugar.  If you want a true-neopolitan dough recipe, eliminate both of those ingredients and cook at 750+degrees.  The oil & sugar burn at the high temps.  If you're cooking at lower temps 450-600*, you'll be fine.  The Caputo flour also needs high temps for it to brown nicely or get some leopard spots.  Good Luck!

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I don't know what my "stone" temps are, but I cook the pizza at dome temps of 650-700, and I have never had and burning issues with the oil and sugar in this recipe.  The sugar is long gone by the time the rise is done anyway. 
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options

Ingredients

teaspoon (tsp) active dry yeast
      cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
      1/4 cups pizza flour
      tablespoons olive oil
      teaspoon salt
      teaspoons white sugar

Directions

1. In a
      small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm (110 degrees F) water. Let stand until
      creamy, about 10 minutes.
    2. In a
      large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, olive oil, salt, white sugar and
      the yeast mixture; stir well to combine. Beat well until a stiff dough has
      formed. Cover and rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
      Meanwhile, preheat BGE to 450 degrees F .
    3. Turn
      dough out onto a well floured surface. Form dough into a round and roll
      out into a pizza crust shape. Cover with your favourite sauce and toppings
      and bake in preheated BGE on pizza stone laid on top of plate setter and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • ejs190
    ejs190 Posts: 6
    Options
    I use 1000 grams of 00 flour, 20 grams of salt, 20 grams of sugar, 30 grams of olive oil and 1 pack of dry yeast. I mix the dry ingredients (including yeast), then add the water and mix for two minutes then add the oil and mix or 5 minutes or longer.
    www.EricShirk.com
  • ejs190
    ejs190 Posts: 6
    Options
    I also use a metal cheesecake pan to lift my stone about 3" above the plate setter (legs down). I can only make 4 pizzas before the stone gets too hot and burn the bottoms. And I am moving fast at that pace.
    www.EricShirk.com