Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melt-in-your-mouth Salmon

Greg Richey
Greg Richey Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Seafood

Ingredients

• 4 eight oz. skinless, boneless Salmon filets
• 1 lemon
• 1 lime
• 2 Oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Tony Chachery"s Cajun spice (red & yellow container)
• Paul Prudomme"s Poultry Magic (green label)

Instructions

Wash filets and drain on paper towels. Pour oil in small sauce pan, and squeeze the juices from the lemon and lime in. Barely bring to a boil and remove from heat, cool down a bit. Sprinkle the Tony Chachery's on one side and Paul Prudomme's on the other side of the salmon. Place in a lasagna pan, paint the oil mixture on the filets, and pour the remainder over them. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerate 1 - 2 hours.

Bring Egg up to 300. Spray fish grill with Pam or similar product. Add Jack Daniels and Applewood chips to coals. Cook salmon approx. 12 minutes per side and test for doneness (I press on the fish with my finger to test). Do not overcook.

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments

• mikeva
    mikeva Posts: 2
    Has anyone used the alder planks for salmon?
  • Has anyone used the alder planks for salmon?
    I usually use cedar planks for salmon. I save the alder for lighter, white fish. I bet it will be good though! Give it a try and let us know (with pics of course)!!

• Yes ... Many times. Either planks or chips work great! Good luck!
  • I like to use a mixture of brown sugar melted in Makers Mark.  I'll micro it for several seconds and stir until smooth.  I add S & P, then paint both sides with the mixture.  Cook direct at 300 without the planks.  I've tried the planks but prefer direct on grill.  We've even added a little maple syrup for a nice glaze.  Yum!
  • There is nothing better than fresh caught Alaska salmon and halibut.  I came back from Juneau with 150 pounds of salmon and halibut fillets.  My favorite salmon recipe is above.  Halibut is very delicate and easily overcooked.  I put a halibut fillet on foil with butter and juice from a whole lemon.  I use the foil simply because halibut will easily fall apart on a direct grill.  It cooks VERY fast.  Halibut is pure white and won't get much color cooking this way so I sprinkle with sweet paprika for a nice color.
  • On the Dizzy Pig website there's a great recipe for salmon.  something that's fantastic on salmon is maple Syrup!

I like to sprinkle DP Ragin' River on the filet and then drizzle with maple syrup.  simple and really good!

• I cooked 4 coho salmon fillets last night. There is just nothing better than grilled salmon with a couple alder chunks in the coals. Same as above, I used DP Dust and maple syrup. Don't go overboard with the alder. A little goes a long way and salmon soaks it up. I am done with planks.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Thanks for the recipe. I also like it with
    Raging river on maple planks
    context is important :)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I just hate cedar on food ...yech!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Ageeed. I personally am not a fan of cedar planks. I like the maple. Very mild
    context is important :)
  • Squeezy
    Cedar is good for chests and shingles ... why do we not smoke with evergreens?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    we do.  westphalian hams.

cedar has been used to smoke fish for hundreds of years, too.

like anything, too much is not always a good idea.  i don't care how much you like hickory, it can be over done too.

free your mind, man....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have been cooking fish on cedar planks forever. I just made salmon with an apricot jalapeño glaze - yum. However, I just found out that not all planks are created equal. I picked up some planks at the grocery store and the flavor was sooooooo strong that it overpowered the fish. Now I wish I could remember the name brand of the ones that I really like.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I just ordered the 4 BGE plank packs and tried the CEDAR on Salmon. A grand premiere for me... and I think a very few frenchies tried planked salmon.

I turned out great ! The flavor was not strong at all... and salmon was so juicy and tender ! Perfect !

BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • Squeezy

... I've heard that it should only be 'red' cedar although I'm not returning to cedar ever ... not when there is alder, oak, and maple available!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I like cedar planked salmon but don't have many options on types of planks. I usually do a feta, tomato, onion, and caper topped salmon with capers and lemon zest. Here's 2 seperate cooks one pre from one cook and one during from one cook. The during picture I ran home during lunch and made some salmon and burger for people I work with.

• I'm definitely a proponent of cedar. Not just salmon but pork too. I did a stuffed pork roast on a cedar plank two nights ago. Turned out great!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    What is the fish grill?  Thanks.