Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Take Your Lumps...

The_Grill_Sergeant
The_Grill_Sergeant Posts: 87
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,

I've noticed that folks are all over the map when it comes to what lump they choose to use.  Are there any advantages to BGE lump?  Should I even bother carrying BGE lump, or should I just tell my customers to go across the street to Wally World where they can get Royal Oak at a much better price?

Thanks for all your help!

Sarge
Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I prefer Ozark oak. I used to use Royal Oak but then bought 12 bags of Ozark Oak online with free shipping and there are much fewer small pieces to deal with. I might keep a couple bags of Royal Oak around to use in the mini. If you can get a Pallot of Ozark oak for a decent price I would do that. I paid under $9 a bag for a 10 pound bag and that was with free shipping.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if the royal oak across the street is made in america, it IS bge lump. royal oak makes both brands. if you can stock the ozark mentioned, go for it, its one of the best lumps out there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • There has always been a rumor that the BGE lump made by Royal Oak is the "best stuff", but I've never seen that authoritatively substantiated, nor did I notice a difference myself in testing it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Where can you buy Ozark Oak over the internet for less than $9.00 with free shipping?
  • Lit

http://www.grillstuff.com/ozark-oak-natural-lump-charcoal-10lb.html?productid=4441

You have to spend $99 to get free shipping so I "had" to buy 12 bags.

• I have used BGE, Primo and Cowboy lump and found something other than wood in all 3. So I started making my own. 
  • Lit, by the way, I just ordered 12 bags also and they seem to have arrived in good shape.  I need to open a bag and check inside.  They come 3 bags to a box, so you get 4 boxes delivered by Fedex Ground.
    The Naked Whiz
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Or go to elliott's hardware in Plano texas...
  • Naked Whiz, I just read your post and did what you did...just ordered 12 bags.  All of your advice on these posts have been excellent so I'm with you.  I've only been an egger for 2 months so here is where I go to get info.  Been using BGE lump...it is ok but I'm ready to see what might be better.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Just ordered 12 bags as well, thanks for the tip!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • My BGE lump has a lot of very small pieces and a lot of dust. My 12 bags of Ozark will arrive this week. I'll post a comparison. Hope Naked Whiz does same.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I won't be buying BGE lump due to cost ... here it is $30 a bag ... that's right $30 a bag ... get real!!!!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • BGE Lump comes in 20lb bags.  I know what the wholesale cost is, so with a little profit on top, that's not a bad price compared to what I'm seeing on 10lb bags.
  • Lit
    Royal Oak is under $7 a bag for the 10 pound bag. I can get Ozark Oak delivered to my front door for $9 a bag for 10 pound bags and it is much better lump. $30 a bag is crazy for 20 pounds.
  • Anyone know what, if any, difference there is between BGE lump and Weekend Warrior lump?
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Price. BGE lump is waaaay over priced.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71

Yeah BGE lump at the eggfest was 24.95FOR 20LBS That was what I can buy it at the dealer. I can buy royal oak at walmart for$6.87 for a 10 pound bag .

Who cares I'll post where I want
  • The only reason I ask is because my initial shipment came with 3 bags of each.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited October 2011

Sarge,

You can "read up" on any and all charcaol lump reviews on the naked whiz site.  Lots of info, most cutomers look it over from time to time.  We carry the Wicked Good product as it is hard to get in most areas of the country unless you order a pallet.  Your Egg distributor carries it in the western US.  You're better off with a variety to offer your clients.  We currently carry 18 different fuels, but we've been selling Eggs for 6 years now...you have to start somewhere.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Got my 12 bags of Ozark Oak.  Here is my (untrained) comparison to BGE lump.  I am a new BGE guy and for 3 months I have used only BGE lump.  The Ozark bag has only large and medium chunks...almost no small and almost no dust.  It is harder than BGE...actually makes a "klinking" sound when I poured it into my 5 gal bucket transport bucket...BGE didn't.  Seemed like it was slightly more difficult to light using wax cubes and took about 5 minutes longer to get to cook temp.  Fire got HOT and burned clean.  I think I'll like it a lot.  Hope Naked Whiz also provides an analysis, he said he ordered some and I trust his evaluations.

• Squeezy
    Let us know when the Whiz's anaysis is done eh?
  • Personally I just tried the compressed coconut shells. I thought it was great. I made beef jerky for the first time. I put in only enough charcoal that I could hold in my one hand. It did a great job. 14 hours at 165. Still some left at the end. It came in a 10kg(22lbs) for $24. Name of brand was Carcos. The bricks were about the size of a "Two-bite Brownie". Lit well and stayed lit.
    I won't buy the BGE charcoal due to it's price either. It's just charcoal.
    One note for my southern neighbours...Carcos is a product of Indonesia. Don't know if Buy American will apply to Coconut charcoal.
  • Squeezy

How did you get a handful of charcoal to last 14 hrs ?

Where did you get the coconut charcoal?

• Is there a coupon to bring the cost of the Ozark Oak lump down to $9/bag?  Price on the Grillstuff website is now $10.95/bag...
  • Commenting on Squeezy's question.
    I guess I shouldn't have said "a handfull" I used about 15 pieces of lump. I will include two pictures. One is of the charcoal itself and the other is of the remains of the 15 pieces after a 14 hour cook. Count them. I think there is still 15 pieces left. Just remember it was only set for 165 degrees. I used the DigiQII.
    Not sure why pictures as sideways.
  • Lit
    Is there a coupon to bring the cost of the Ozark Oak lump down to $9/bag?  Price on the Grillstuff website is now $10.95/bag...
    That sucks they raised the price. My parents have a place in Northern Arkansas and they went by Harps and got me a couple bags and they said they are bigger than the 10 pound bags I gave them and they were just over $4 a bag for the Ozark Oak.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I would love to try some Ozark Oak but don't want to buy 10-15 bags until I give it a try. We are going to be traveling this Winter through Southern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and perhaps Arkansas.  Can anyone tell me where I could buy a few bags?

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Lit
    Harps foods has alot of locations in Arkansas just google harps foods and their site shows all the locations in Arkansas.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I checked out Harps foods and they don't seem  to go South of Little Rock.  We probably won't get that far north. 

Is Ozark Oak sold outside of Arkansas (Louisiana, Mississippi, or Alabama)?  I'm going to call the company (Ozark Oak Charcoal) and ask sometime next week. I couldn't find a web page for them.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA