Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopen

Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking about getting a thermopen, but I am concerned with piercing my meat. Anyone have any experience with these and does it affect your end product??
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

It is not really a problem compared to the peace of mind from knowing you hit your target temp. without under or over cooking your meat. I usually check several places just to be sure and have not lost any significant moisture ...

I love my Thermopen!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Thermopen was one of my best investments. You lose minimal to no juices with a little prick, the pen is so thin; knowing the temp with the instant read totally outweighs any juice loss. Go get one now!
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

It is very small. not like a fork or pig flipper. You also are only gonna use it until toward the end a couple times.

start where you expect it to be the coldest and once it is at correct temp then do several test.

As you get better you will have fewer and fewer sticks.

I always over cooked until I got mine.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Once you get good you are really confirming what you already know. Also, I pull meat at least 10degrees under what the charts say based on my Thermapen reading. So for a med rare steak I pull when my Thermapen reads 115-120.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Bluedot
    Bluedot Posts: 82
    One of the most important lessons learned here is to cook to temp, not to time. Thermopen or probe is a must. I use a Thermopen on every cook.
  • I just got one on Friday and have already used it several times, both on BGE cooks and in the oven. Despite having researched it, I was still surprised by how small the tip of the probe is. Nothing like the typical analog instant read thermometer. I have noticed minimal loss of juice, especially if testing occurs toward the end. Much more juice is lost by failing to let meat properly rest than by use of the Thermapen.

• Gato
    Sound like a good investment. Kinda hard to let go of that kinda cash on a thermometer. Where is the best place to buy one?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    I got mine via internet direct for company.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    One of the most important lessons learned here is to cook to temp, not to time. Thermopen or probe is a must. I use a Thermopen on every cook.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gato
    Anyone have any experience with the Big Green Egg instant read model??
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    It's not so instant. I would love to have a Thermapen butttttttttt..........$$$$$$$$
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Gato
    Eggxactly!!!
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Worth the money.  Can't cook without it.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Subscribe to email alerts from Thermopen ... they have sales on occasion and deals on two or more.

Perhaps a few of you can get together and get a deal on quantity ....

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

In fact I just looked ... buddy sale on now $80 each.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I feel like the whole piercing of the meat issue is now overplayed.  Yes, sticking a prong into your meat to flip it  while cooking can contribute to loss of juices.  However, the issue of a seal from searing has been debunked as well.  Additionally, the pricking of the Thermapen occurs fairly close to "done time" which will minimize loss of juice.  One last note, is that resting the steak results in a redistribution of juices to all parts of the meat but also results in a pool of juice on your plate (i.e. loss of juiciness).  While that pool can be dumped back onto the meat, I have found little difference in the flavor or juiciness of a steak whether or not I dumped the juice back on top or not.  Bottom line, buy a Thermapen, (I have two of them) as it is the best device out there.  Nothing is close and it is very helpful in getting your cooks to go as well as possible (i.e. reduction in thrown away food).
  • porkman
    porkman Posts: 20
    edited October 2011
    For those of us who do not feel that we can afford a Thermapen at the moment, here is a good alternative that I have found- Thermoworks RT301WA.  I have one of these and use it on every cook like the Themapen users. It is very accurate and quick, although a little slower, at 6 seconds vs. Thermapen's 4. At only $19 dollars on sale, it is affordable till you can save up for the real deal. If you like to read customer reviews check this out- Amazon RT301 reviews.
  • Just got my thermapen on Saturday. I have been using an electric that was very slow getting to show internal temp. My butcher sliced a pork loin a little too thin so it is easy to overcook. My new "pin" showed me internal temp immediately. Pulled the loin chops 10 degrees off target and they were moist and perfect. With my old thermometer I would have been standing around waiting to see temp while the chops overcooked. I also bought a large BGE for my lake house so I'm getting another "pin".
  • The Thermapen is the best thing since sliced bread. It saves me on the price of steak and wasted charcoal cooking stuff longer than needed. I had a bad habit of over cooking my rib eyes a little before my Thermapen. Post Thermapen the "Del Monacos have never been sweeter.".
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring