Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am doing my first beer can chicken, Need help!

spalcze
spalcze Posts: 14
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first chicken on my egg.  I have the stand for the chicken, but not sure what temp to have the grill.  I have about an 8lb chicken.  How long should that take to cook? any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited January 2012

This is right up my alley ... you're in luck!

Anywhere from about 325º to 375º is optimum. Not sure on time, but I'd guess about 2 hrs to 2½ hrs. but use your thermometer to be sure.

I found too, that it's easier after tenting to carve right on the stand, that way you don't have to wrestle with the beer can.

I am assuming you're beer butting this bird ... ?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • spalcze
    yes i am doing that. The chicken has a pop up timer on it, is it safe to say that when that is up it is done?
  • Squeezy
    I would never trust them ... check it with an instant read if you have one. Popups only work on the breast, you need to check the inside thigh but not touching the bone.....
  • spalcze
    Ok thanks for the help!
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270

Squeezy is right. Two points I would like to add;

170 to 180º for the legs and thighs, the breast should be around 155 to 165º. Another good indicator is the juices should run "clear"

Good Luck!

Marc
  • spalcze
    Do I cut the top of the beer can or just open the flip top as much as I can?
  • spalcze
    And I set the egg up for indirect cooking using my plate setter right?
  • MCR
    My base is a ceramic one, I just pour the beer into it and add the spice of the day... usual onions. If you just open the beer and push it as much as you can you will be good. The heat will do the rest for you and the steam will be coming out.
    Marc
  • MCR
    Plate setter, no right or wrong here, did both ways on numerous occasions and both are equally good. I prefer without... with the burning fat. If you decide to use the plate setter, I would suggest to use a pan for the dripping or cover you plate setter with foil... much easier to clean.
    Marc
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I agree, I think I would go without the plate setter also.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Hopefully not too late here.  All the above is good info-I prefer raised grid direct at around 350*F to the temps mentioned above.  A method I use to get the breast to around 160-165 with legs around 180 is to put a ziplock bag of ice on the breasts for around 20-30 minutes before starting the cook.  Seems everything then gets to the finish temp around the same time.

You may want to rub some "rub" or spices under the skin before cooking along with coating with peanut oil.

Always turns out great but truth be told, having found spatchcock chicken (www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm ) I don't do many beer butt chix anymore.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Squeezy

I usually use a can piercer to open up the top a bit more, but is not neccessary ...

Don't use the whole can ... drink at least half!

Have fun ... you'll love it !!!!