Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fishlessman/duck fat

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have been doing some reading about duck fat that you recommended for the turkey gravy. It sounds like something I have to try. I found some at Williams-Sonoma, is this what you were talking about?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/duck-fat/?pkey=e|Duck+fat|1|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule-_-#viewLargerSubsetOverlay
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There's also D'Artagnan brand.

Or, buy a duck, and render some fat yourself. There is often enough extra fat to just melt it in a pan with water. And, if careful about setting up the drip pan, what renders out while cooking on the Egg gets smoked at the same time. "Taters fried in smoked duck fat are a real treat.

Anymore, when I buy duck or goose it is as much for the fat as for the meat.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I have not cooked duck or a goose but this may be something that I might have to look into. Is the D'Artagnan something that you buy in the grocery store? Duck fat and turkey gravy - Mother must be rolling her eyes! This Turkey day is going to prove to be real interesting for us.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There is at least one store near me that sells D'Artagnan duck fat. It is also available online. Goose fat is also available online, but if you buy a goose, it will easily yield 2 quarts of fat. Both duck and goose make wonderful meals, but the big trick is getting as much fat out as possible. Otherwise they can be unpleasantly greasy.

FWIW, a few years ago a chef name Jennifer McLagan wrote a book called "Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient." I've started saving all sorts of fats, with some luscious results. Eggs fried in chicken fat are swell. Suet is also great for 'taters. One must remember to eat low fat yogurt for a day or two after, tho'.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    should work fine, what i do is mix bells seasoning into some and freeze it for tday. i render the fat slow roasting from a duck in the oven the weekend before and make ripnems pheasant newburg with the duck and serve it up tday morning on toast for breakfast, or duck/sausage gumbo for the wednesday before tday, my familiy starts to gather on wednesday. the bells is a newengland turkey rub for bird and stuffing, might not be what people outside the area equate to tday so use spices your familiar with. the fat goes frozen under the breast skin on the bird and mixes with the turkey fat and drippings. i separate the fat from the drippings, make a roux with it and equal parts flour, then add back the separated drippings and a little gravey master if its not dark to my likings
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    My, my fishlessman and Gdenby the two of you have opened a whole new culinary way of cooking and thinking about fat for me. I'm going to keep it under wraps and not mention it to the husbands cardiologist - bring on the fat !!!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    You have this for breakfast - whoa! ?? How good does this sound.

Pheasant, Neuburg, Ripnem 

INGREDIENTS: 
    Cream of mushroom soup 
    Cream of chicken soup 
    green olives 
    mushrooms (in a jar) 
    bacon(BB is best) 
    peperocinis 
    hot sauce 
    heavy whipping cream 
    buncha bird cooked and shredded (not chopped) 

PROCEDURE: 
    1 Cook the bird and bacon and then combine it all in DO or crock pot and let simmer for a couple hours. It can be served over any starch, but my favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns. 
    2 quantities are based on how much bird used and it has always been a "wing-it" type of recipe, that will knock your socks off. 

• GrannyX4
    Options

INGREDIENTS: 
    Cream of mushroom soup 
    Cream of chicken soup 
    green olives 
    mushrooms (in a jar) 
    bacon(BB is best) 
    peperocinis 
    hot sauce 
    heavy whipping cream 

PROCEDURE: 
    1 Cook the bird and bacon and then combine it all in DO or crock pot and let simmer for a couple hours. It can be served over any starch, but my favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns. 
    2 quantities are based on how much bird used and it has always been a "wing-it" type of recipe, that will knock your socks off. 

• GrannyX4
    Options

INGREDIENTS: 
    Cream of mushroom soup 
    Cream of chicken soup 
    green olives 
    mushrooms (in a jar) 
    bacon(BB is best) 
    peperocinis 
    hot sauce 
    heavy whipping cream 

PROCEDURE: 

• GrannyX4
    Options

INGREDIENTS: 
    Cream of mushroom soup 
    Cream of chicken soup 
    green olives 
    mushrooms (in a jar) 
    bacon(BB is best) 
    peperocinis 
    hot sauce 
    heavy whipping cream 

PROCEDURE: 

• GrannyX4
    Options

INGREDIENTS: 
    Cream of mushroom soup 
    Cream of chicken soup 
    green olives 
    mushrooms (in a jar) 
    bacon(BB is best) 
    peperocinis 
    hot sauce 
    heavy whipping cream 

PROCEDURE: 

• GrannyX4
    Options

INGREDIENTS: 
    Cream of mushroom soup 
    Cream of chicken soup 
    green olives 
    mushrooms (in a jar) 
    bacon(BB is best) 
    peperocinis 
    hot sauce 
    heavy whipping cream 

PROCEDURE: 

• GrannyX4
    Options

INGREDIENTS: 
    Cream of mushroom soup 
    Cream of chicken soup 
    green olives 
    mushrooms (in a jar) 
    bacon(BB is best) 
    peperocinis 
    hot sauce 
    heavy whipping cream 

PROCEDURE: 

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Oops!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    The soup sauce is not one of my favorites but a cream sauce over eggs and hash browns is a good thing I would think.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    TT - I was watching Dinners, drive-ins, and dives last night and what was a big hit in a restaurant in Chicago? Roasted vegetables, eggs and duck fat gravy! It gave me a giggle but the again it doesn't take much.