Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the feet in a table voids warranty...

Options
2»

Comments

• grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    Do NOT use feet under an XL... Use a paver stone, and you can put feet under the stone to keep it off the wood. You will need at least four feet, better to use eight. I use 18 inch square paver stones for my XL's
  • jostheim
    jostheim Posts: 53
    Options
    So my design for the table is slightly different than the ones I see in this thread, namely there is a hole cut out for the piece of slate, meaning it gets air below it to cool it. I am not sure this makes a difference, but my physics degree is telling me that it will allow it to cool much better than something sitting directly on wood.

My plan is to take some of the ceramic insulation I have, make some balls and put them under the egg. Then I'll have a break between the egg and the slate for air to cool the egg, plus I have the bottom of the slate open to air for the slate to cool.

I'll take it slow on my first few cooks and see how hot the slate is getting...
  • QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that used eggs don't have a warranty. I could be wrong.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You are correct. You must be the original purchaser and have the means to convince your dealer of that fact, i.e. either you have receipt or he has records.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Randewithane
    Options
    My XL egg did not come with feet, I just figured someone left them out of the packaging. I asked the dealer for some a month or two later and they gave me three form another egg. My egg is sitting on the feet, 3 of them, and a 3 inch slab of concrete going on 3 years now with no issues. I have had the temp to 1100 degrees, and have cooked low and slow for 15 to 20 hours at a time on numerous occasions. No issues..........well I did replace the gasket right after the high temp experiment. And the plate setter had a hairline crack in it, maybe heat related also. My dealer gave me another one, I now use it in place of a pizza stone. To use feet or not to use feet?
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options

I think you can use the feet on a table but you still need a paver. Use of feet only on a table will cause a fire.

Ideally a table with supports holding fire bricks and feet between the bricks and cooker will allow the most air circulation.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • TullyMN
    TullyMN Posts: 10
    Options
    Settergrens is great. Feel guilty as they are my hardware store of choice, but didn't get my egg from them. Kitchen window was giving away free grilling classes and gift cards when you purchased a grill, so got it from them. I don't use the feet on my large, but I like the idea of using them to keep things off of the grate! Thanks!!
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    Options
    Seems that 2 pavers is the way to go, surely with two of them your safe and they are cheap. 
    The above idea would be great if you had not yet built your table. If I build a new table, may plan it for bricks. 
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • BrunDog
    BrunDog Posts: 27
    Options
    Well then, what the heck are the feet for? I have mine mortared into a cement board substrate, next to vitreous tile. No problems for several years.

-BD