Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger Grinding EGG-speriment - RESULTS!!

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
OK, after garnering some AWESOME advice from folks regarding grinding our own burger, we decided to conduct a little (albeit unscientific) EGG-speriment!!  (Thanks to ThirdEye for his suggestion on experimenting w/ different mixtures)!!!!

We took 4 different kinds of meat:  1) Chuck, 2) Sirloin, 3) Brisket, & 4) Short Ribs, and we ground them (once) into the following ratios:

1) 50% Chuck / 50% Sirloin

2) 50% Brisket / 50% Sirloin
imageimageimage

3) 33% Sirloin / 33% Chuck / 33% Brisket

4) 40% Chuck / 40% Short Ribs / 20% Brisket

And here's all 4 mixtures together:

To keep things fair, each patty mixture used 10 ounces of meat TOTAL (so, for EGG-sample: #1 - 50/50 chuck-to-sirloin was 5 oz of chuck & 5 oz of sirloin). 

Also, the ONLY seasonings & toppings were 10 turns of freshly ground pepper, 5 turns of sea salt, and 1 slice of pepper jack cheese.

All patties were cooked @ the same time on my LBGE for the same duration (3 min & flip, 3 min & flip, 1 min & flip, 1 min & add cheese).

The VERY WILLING EGG-speriment volunteers were myself, my GF, and her 14 yr old son. 

Since we made 2 10 oz patties for each mixture, each burger was cut in half, and I sat there w/ pen & paper in hand & solicited comments from everyone as they tasted each one. 

So, w/out any further adieu, here are the results / comments (comments were compiled randomly & are in no particular order & I can't remember who said what):

1) 50% Chuck / 50% Sirloin
started to fall apart when cooking / flipping
"mushy"
tastes sort of like when you re-heat a burger - "lardy" or "not fresh"

2) 50% Brisket / 50% Sirloin
tad dry
bland, generic tasting

3) 33% Sirloin / 33% Chuck / 33% Brisket
"smokier" than the others (this was a good thing)
juicier than 1 & 2
tastes more like "steak"
like consistency of 3 the best

4) 40% Chuck / 40% Short Ribs / 20% Brisket
good, "beefy" flavor
tasted as good as, if not better than 3

Sooooo, w/ that being said, we each ranked them from most favorite to least favorite:

Me:  4,3,1,2
GF:  4,3,1,2
Son: 4,1,3,2 (my only guess as to why he ranked 1 over 3 is that he's used to "greasy" burgers from the likes of Mickey-D's!! hehe)

So, what did we learn?  Well, it looks like we're either gonna start doing chuck, short ribs, & brisket, or chuck, sirloin, & brisket!! 

Also, now that we know what we like, we can start adding some seasonings to it (Dizzy Pig, garlic), and maybe add in some bacon (Ya know, to get the fat content up) hehee...

All in all, it was a FUN Egg-speriment, and the grindng process went easier than I thought (my GF actually ground the meat as I was busy running errands & doing other things). 

So, thanks to EVERYONE who chimed in w/ their thoughts & opinions!!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments