Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Hog Barbecue Sauce

Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I wanted to try a version of my Sticky Hog sauce using honey as the main sweetener.

1 cup honey

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste

1/4 cup gluten-free Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1 teaspoon ancho chili powder

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

1/2 teaspoon granulated onion

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon allspice

Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Stir to combine and
bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until all the sugar
has dissolved and the sauce starts to thicken a little bit (about five
minutes).

Bottle and store in the fridge.

I am very happy with this sauce!

Davekatz
Food & Fire

Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's looks like something I'm going to try. thanks for listing the recipe.
    context is important :)
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    edited September 2011
    Looks great.  Is it spicy?  I'd like to try it on ribs.
  • It's got a bit of a kick to it. Not much of a long burn, but some heat up front. I love it on ribs.
  • Mark0525
    I'm going to try it this weekend.  Does anyone know how long BBQ sauce will keep in the fridge when you make it by scratch? 
  • I always bottle it hot from the saucepan and make sure to invert the bottle after putting the lid on. I think there's enough acid in there that it should last for awhile. I've never really worried about it and I know I've used sauces that have been in the fridge for 2 months with no ill effects.

It tastes better if you give it an overnight in the fridge before using it.

Let me know what you think.
  • Mark0525
    Thanks Dave I sure will let you know.  Can't wait to try it.  I'm tired of buying all the jar sauces.  It has to be a lot cheaper and I'm sure better tasting  :)
  • Sure thing.

I am a big fan of the Sticky Pig and Blues Hog sauces and this is an attempt to get that tangy/sticky/sweet consistency, but with it's own flavors, not just a clone.

I like jockeying the ingredients around to change the taste. No 2 batches are ever quite the same, but that's part of the fun.
  • Dave,  can you susbstitute regular mollasses and Worcestershire sauce?
  • Any Worcestershire sauce is fine. I've got Celiacs, so I have to use a GF one (BTW, Lea and Perrins is GF).

Pomegranate molasses has a tart/sour/fruity component that regular molasses doesn't. It won't be bad, just different.

You can make your own pomegranate molasses from pomegranate juice a la Alton Brown:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pomegranate-syrup-or-molasses-recipe/index.html

• Dave, I made the BBQ sauce and it turned out great.  Also made some bacon jam this weekend too.  Pretty good weekend for making some suaces. 

As for the length of time on the sauces,  I have made plenty of BBQ sauces in my time and all have lasted in the measure of months.  There is nothing in your ingredient list that looks to be of a short shelf life.

The next time that I make this, I might start of with the tomato paste with a bit of water and cook out the rawness a bit before adding the sweet and savory components.  I had to cook the sauce a bit to get that taste out of it.

• Mark0525
    I also made it too and thought it was very good.  I may cut back on the honey a little.  A bit too sweet for me. But very good
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    edited September 2011
    Thanks guys, glad you like it.

@BGE Convert - I hadn't noticed the rawness, but that might be because i spend a lot of time futzing around with the spices and it cooks off before I'm done. I'll try cutting it with some water and cooking it down a bit.

@Mark0525 - I'm thinking 50/50 honey and brown sugar next time to cut the sweetness little.
  • I made the sticky hog version with regular mollasses.  I could not find the pomegranate mollases and passsed on making my own. 
  • Mark0525
    BGE Convert, That's what I did and it was good but I don't have anything to compare it to
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    I made this I cut all the hot things in half not a fan of hot sauce. Haven't tried it on any meat yet but tasted good on my finger.
  • Mark0525
    pci, I didn't think it was hot at all...lol  I was thinking of adding more heat.  That's why sauces get tweaked  :)
  • Dave and Mark.  A buddy of mine made some ribs this weekend and brought this sauce.  While cutting the ribs up we tried the sauce I made and it was fantastic with the smoked ribs.  Keep in mind the sauce I made was the Sticky Hog version with regular mollasses.  Everyone that ate the ribs with the BBQ sauce loved it and either requested that I make more jars of the stuff or wanted the recipe.  I came home and made some more of the Sticky Hog with pomegranate molasses.  This version had different flavor profile and was better than the previous one I made.
  • Mark0525
    That's good to know.  Is pomegranate molasses easy to find?
  • Also when I constructed the sauce, I started off with the tomato paste and whisked in the half cup of applecider and a 1/4 cup of water to try to cook out the rawness of the tomato paste. After about 5 minutes of cooking and intermittent whisking I began to build up the sauce by adding the sweeteners and savory liquids etc. I then added the dry spices and the last 3 minutes of cooking added in the lemon zest. Form me this allowed for a consistent sauce upon completion of the cook. However, time to steep and cool of the fridge seems to the do the trick as well. Again just my thoughts. I am thinking of trying to throw in some bourbon in this to see what happens to the flavor profile. Bravo on the recipe though as I had a ton of compliments on your recipe.
  •  Everyone that ate the ribs with the BBQ sauce loved it and either requested that I make more jars of the stuff or wanted the recipe. 
    Thanks, you just made my day :)!
  • Mark, I live in Northern Va so there are tons of ethnic stores/markets.  I went to a nearby middle eastern store to get the pomegranate mollasses.  It was about $4 for a bottle.  I checked a local supermarket and they did not have it on their shelves in the ethnic food aisles.  However, I only checked one local supermarket (Safeway).  I have not checked other supermarkets such as Whole Foods, Harris Teeter or Giant that are common where I live.  At the end of the day it was easy for me to find but that is relative to where I live.  The other alternative is to buy it online.  However, I have found that shipping sometimes cost as much as the product.