Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg first cook

Options
Islandcrabb
Islandcrabb Posts: 1
edited September 2011 in Forum Feedback
Cooked two whole chickens at 300 for one hour. Turned out good, but not much smoke flavor. I added two handfuls of hickory chips. Smoked out top of grill at first but mid way through cook smoking stopped? Any suggestions? I want a smoke ring on the meat.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Try using a chunk or two instead of chips.  Or try mixing the chips in with your lump when you build the fire, so that fresh chips are always coming available as the fire spreads. 

Oh, and you do know that the smoke ring is tasteless, right?  The smoke flavor comes from the particles of smoke deposited on the surface of the food.  The pink smoke ring is nothing more than color caused by a chemical reaction.  And while I'm on a roll, I'll also say that the smoke ring forms until the meat reaches about 140 degrees, while smoke flavor will develop on the food as long as there is smoke present in the cooker.  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • NorCalQ
    Options
    If smoke settles only on the surface of the meat, how then do you get smoke flavor to permeate the meat?  Can you get smoke flavor throughout the meat?
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited January 2012
    Options

@NakedWhiz is wise!

I always seem to have my best results with chunks as well.