Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table - Long w/Pics

Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well not exactly new, but seriously reworked old table.[p]Recently obtained posession of second large Egg and wanted to add bracing, cut second hole in table top and add wheels. This is what I saw when I removed Egg #1 from the table.[p] Picture007.jpg[p][p]Close up of the damidge:[p]7e7d9908.jpg[p][p]Luckily, I came across a man disposing of his old metal stickburner at the dump, from which I was able to scavenge some spare parts for my table. He told me that he had this cooker for nearly 4 years, and that he felt that he had gotten his money's worth out of the old rustbucket.[p]611d0695.jpg[p][p]And here is the finished product:[p]03ee2f1c.jpg[p][p]
Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Citizen Q, did you have a stone under the Egg or was it seated directly on the lower wood shelf ? BTW, nice job on the new table !

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    tn slagamater,
    Directly on the mahogany slats. As a matter of fact, there's probably a couple of posts in the archives from 4 or 5 years back wherein I claim that a stone under the Egg is not needed. LOL. Thanks and BTW, the table itself is a 1999 model.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    2005_0104Image0008.jpg
    <p />Citizen Q,
    the little feet dont help either, you can see where the egg was still supported over the hole when i found it. that was a 2 inch thick tabletop

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • When I got my BGE, it was suggested that I put bricks on the bottom level of the table, then the feet that are furnished with the egg, and then the BGE on the feet. The approximate four inches of the brick between the feet and the wood has prevented any problems. And the cost of four bricks is far less than rebuilding.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    setup.jpg
    <p />Citizen Q,
    For fear of that same problem, this is the set up that I use.

• jake42,
    Cool, where'd ya get that big green bottle opener?[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• DSC_5110.JPG
    <p />fishlessman,[p]
    I am going to use IPE wood for my table, beside it being the most beautiful wood you have ever seen its nearly fire proof.[p]What is the fire
    rating of IPÊ™[p]The NFPA test results have shown that IPÊ is an A1 rated building material - the highest possible rating![p]IPE Has a Class A-1 Fire Retardant Rating (National Fire Protection Association/Uniform Building Code)—the same as steel and concrete.[p]Ipe is an extremely dense South American hardwood. It is nearly seven times harder and almost four times stronger than red cedar, another popular decking material. Ipe is dimensionally stable and resists twisting and warping. It will remain smooth, splinter-free and friendly to bare feet for years.[p] Ipe is strong, so deck builders can often use less wood in the support structure. With a bending strength of just over 25,000 pounds, an ipe 1x4 deck board can span joists 24 inches apart and still carry a live load of 100 pounds per square foot.[p]here are some pictures of my IPE deck [p]

[ul][li]http://www.tixx.com/ipedeck/ipe/index001.html[/ul]