Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your preference for basting brushes that don't leave marks?

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited September 2011 in Forum List
There are a lot of basting brushes out there for saucing or glazing BBQ (for those folks that sauce).  Pastry brushes, silicone brushes with wide "bristles", ones with small ones.

I don't like to see "brush marks" on the final result.   What is your preference for the type of bush you use?

I seem to have best luck with the thinner bristle silicone brushes.  (of course it also makes a difference WHEN you apply the glaze)
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    I like the thinner bristle silicone brushes as well. The pastry type won't come clean after a while.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I like the silicon.  I find the pastry brushes start falling apart after awhile and you end up picking bristles off your food.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i guess im not too particular, small things like wings go in a big bowl, i pour it on, then flip everything fast with a spatula, then dump it all back on the grill, literally tip the bowl over, dump it on. for basting big stuff i have a mop i found years ago, looks like a floor spaghetti style mop, holds alot and is fast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Thin Silicon as well for me.  I used to buy natural paintbrushed by the dozen at the local big box and through them out when done but my family gave me a set of Silicon ones for xmas.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• wolfsburg18
    Options
    I like the silicone ones, in specific I look for those with the flat or semi rigged silicone bristle in the center which is the full width of the brush.  It not only holds more sauce but I feel helps to limit brush marks.   I also use a spray bottle with a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar to mist items I sauce so they get a good overall glaze.
  • Amy S.
    Options
    How about mopping it on, with a "rag?" I see that  a lot on tv.