Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've seen some posts before, but thought I'd raise the topic again. I've got about $80 left over from my birthday (I could probably make up the difference if the item is more expensive) and am thinking about buying some side items for my BGE. I'm thinking about the following:

1. Adjustable Rig Platform
2. The Spider
3. Maverick ET-732 Thermometer (or another wireless thermometer ya'll can suggest)
4. Gloves to protect the hands I've burned numerous times. :)
5. Just save for a table.

Cannot decide which to go with. Can you all provide feedback on how useful or versatile #1 and #2 are? Is there a less expensive alternative to the Maverick Thermometer? Thanks everyone! Can't wait to hear the feedback because this money is burning a hole in my pocket!

Comments

• Grillin_n_Chillin
    Grillin_n_Chillin Posts: 52
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hey RC,

If I were you I'd pick this up, I'm building my table but can't wait to use it.  Upper rack goes up and down as well as pivot out of your way.  Just my 2 cents.  The website is www.ceramicgrillworks.com if your interested.

• Grillin_n_Chillin
    Grillin_n_Chillin Posts: 52
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I saw the above two tier rig on a similar thread here a few weeks ago.  Checked it out and pulled the plug.  Easier to work than the AR but not as much grill surface.  Very well built-Check the web site ceramicgrillworks.com and then decide.  Not the party-line favorite but pretty functional.  Beats the crap out of the BGE 3Tier.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Today I just got my WOO-3, isn't as versatile as the AR but it cost quite a bit less.  You don't mention how many people you normally cook for; if the Egg you have has sufficient area to cook, I'd personally go for the Maverick, and you'd have enough left over for some gloves, almost a necessity.
    Hmmm, on the other hand, if you have $80 left over from your birthday, you have LOTS more family and friends than I do, so maybe the AR would be a good choice!  
    :P

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    I have one and love it. It  is very well built.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If you like doing a lot of low and slows, get the ET-732 and the gloves.

If you like doing more grilling get the WOO3 and a pizza stone so you can go raised direct or indirect.

Just my .02

You will get them all eventually. Believe me...I have the Spider, Woo3, ET-732, gloves, Platesetter, and the table. I think I have a problem. 
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • ribmaster
    Options

I bought 2 sets of gloves.

One is a set of welding gaunlets.I use this mostly for removing the platesetter. 14 bucks

The other is a set of pvc coated gauntlets. I use these for pulling food from the grill. 7 bucks

I have a digital leave in type probe and a dial instant themometer. I am looking for a instant read digital, the dial seems less acurate.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I'm typically cooking for a family of three (me, wife, and 18 mo. old). I've got a plate setter and pizza stone right now.

I do some low and slows. I bought an instant read thermometer at the hardware store but it doesn't work too well. It might need a new battery.

Maybe I should heed my wife's advice and just save my extra cash...that way I can build my dream table.
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    Options
    I do more low-and-slows, and the ET732 is the best thing since sliced bread! I just got mine a couple of months ago, and love being able to "keep an eye" on the temp.
    Paula West Texas
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    In my opinion, there's no tool more responsible for creating great, perfectly cooked food than the Thermopen instant thermometer.  I use it on practically every cook.  They aren't cheap but worth every penny.  I've had mine for almost 10 years now and it works as well as it did the day I bought it.  You won't be disappointed:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/index.html

Packerland, Wisconsin

• rockland75
    Options

I'm waiting on my Woo 3 now. I want to get into making paella. I've had my large BGE since March now and I use it almost daily. I bought the paella pan already and I have to raise that grill.

Another purchase that I love is my stoker from RocksBarbQue, It is the best thing ever for those long, overnight cooks. Before I bought that I didn't sleep very well when doing my pulled pork as I was worried that the fire would either die or get too hot.

I think I may be ordering the ceramic stone and spider from the ceramic grill store. I live in Canada and my only shipping option is USPS. They mentioned on the ceramic grill site that they don't recommend shipping ceramics via USPS. I tried to update my order to add the spider and stone but it was too late. :(

I also built a table out of cedar from the naked whiz site. It works awesome and my friends think I'm some kind of wood worker now. Fact is that the plans were well done and most anyone with some tools can do it.