Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a good brisket rub

Spoon
Spoon Posts: 328
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for suggestions or a good Texas style brisket rub. I make a lot of my own but am willing to use a commercial that y'all recommend if I can find it before the weekend cook. Oh, and not too spicy...the kids are eating it too.

I tried the search feature, but it's downright now.

Any help would be appreciated.

~Spoon
"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I love this stuff.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Spoon
    @V.I. Which one of there rubs do you like?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Truthfully, they're all about the same to me.  I just got the new Grand Champion Mix.  Haven't tried it yet, but it smells the same through the package.  You can't go wrong with any of them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

Elder Ward

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

If you don't like a "kick" to your rub I would cut cayenne in half.

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2011
    I use the Texas BBQ rub too for almost all my low & slow cooks (ribs, brisket, shoulder).  Really like their stuff.
    I use mainly their original (on the sweeter/flavorful side) and the #2 brisket blend (spicier side).  I tried the championship blend and the texas wild blend in a sampler and they are both great too.  Can't go wrong.

By the way, their heat resistant BBQ gloves are great for the price!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Spoon
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had seen the Texas BBQ Rub when I ordered from Texas Pepper Jelly<---(that stuff is great for glazes), but never tried it. I ordered the #2 brisket rub to try. I can always cut it with more prarika and sugar if I think it's to spicy for the family. I love spicy, but the family dosn't.

@chokeonsmoke Wouldn't you know I just bought some last week off amazon. Amazons price wasn't bad, but their price is better.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658

This is a really basic brisket rub I have used in the past.  Embellish to fit your flavor profile...

½ C paprika
    5 T natural brown sugar
    3 T garlic powder
    3 T onion powder
    2 T oregano

And this is a decent all purpose beef rub.  I have used it on anything beef... it is a little spicy for some, so adjust the cayenne to fit your taste buds.

3/4 C paprika
    1/2 C kosher salt
    1/2 C black pepper
    1 T cayenne
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • I really like Smokin Gun.  Can't get more Texas of a name then that.
  • Spoon,
    You're gonna love that stuff.  I bought some a few years back and have been ordering it regularly every since. Try the original blend too, that's probably my favorite, but they all are good.  I like the pepper jelly too!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I like this stuff so well I've taken a teaspoon and dipped it into my stash from time to time just to a "taste". This is a variation of Steven Raichlen's recipe.  I've found that grinding your pepper gives it a much nicer bite.

Steven Raichlen's Basic Rub--

1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)

1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

1/4 cup paprika-- I use smoked paprika

3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• I love Bad Byrons butt rub. Don't know if it is "Texas style" but it is yummy.
  • Spoon
    edited September 2011
    I got my Texas BBQ Rub #2 Old Brisket Rub on Friday and tried it on some wings and it was pretty good. I was a little surprised cause I thought most Texas brisket rubs had more chili powder and cumin, at least the ones I has when I was in Texas. Maybe you folks from the Lone Star State can school me on this?
  • I use a lot of chili powder and cumin when I make chili and Tex Mex, but not necessarily on brisket rubs.  Other than Texas BBQ Rub, I've only used John Henry (HQ in Houston), and he doesn't even list cumin as an ingredient on his rub.

Gary in Houston

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Texas is a big place and they don't all do the same thing. If you like chili powder and cumin just add some. I think it's important to use good quality for those two things though. I order my chili powder and just plain ground chiles from www.penderys.com. They're in Ft. Worth and it's all great stuff. Really great fresh cumin too!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Spoon
    Thanks Ray! Your right about the size and regionality of Texas. Thanks for the penderys site, we just got a penzey's spice shop locally that I have been wanting to check out as well. I was looking at Elder Wards brisket rub and seemed to be the flavor profile I was thinking about.