Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Pot Roast

ArizonaBGEguy
ArizonaBGEguy Posts: 22
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Time to cook: 5-6 hours       Preparation: 30 minutes
Dutch Oven Size: 20oz       Feeds: Approx 8 adults
Temp: Dome at 300             Wood: Hickory & Apple

This recipe asks for quite a bit of adding your own touch to it. Make it your own.

Core Ingredients:
1 Chuck Roast (failed to write down the Lbs)
2 Large Carrots (cut into nickels)
2 Onions (diced)
10 Red Potatoes (cut in quarters)
1 Celery stalk (cut) (most stores dont allow you to buy just the stalk)
1 Package of Fresh Thyme
2 cloves of Garlic
2 TSP of sugar
2 TSP Vegetable oil
2 Cans of Chicken stalk
2 Cans of Beef stalk
Flour (used to thicken juice
1 cup of water
Salt and Pepper

* DO = Dutch Oven

Salt an pepper the roast on both sides.
Fire up your egg and stabilize it to 300. Dont add wood yet. Wood cools it down. Key is getting it stable at 300 for now.
Put DO on regular stove top. Heat up to get it hot enough to seer your meat.
Add a little veggie oil. Let heat up for 1 minute
Put in roast. 8 minutes on each side of roast to get it good and seared.
Don't clean your DO, you want the burnt stuff at the bottom
Remove meat.
Add carrots, onions,potatoes, celery, thyme,to DO
Place on DO with grate. Direct Heat.
Add some veggie oil and stir.
Let veggies cook in BGE for 15 minutes. Stir a few times. This will soften them a little.
Remove veggies or remove just enough to make room for meat in the middle.
In the center of the DO, add minced Gallic and the sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes to just brown/melt the sugar
Remove DO and grate, add your wood.
Add DO and Grate back on Egg
Add meat to the middle of DO
Add veggies back in DO
Add 1 can chicken stalk, 1 can of beef stalk and 1 cup of water. If a 20 oz DO, it will just barely cover your veggies.
Do not put a lid on the DO
Stabilize at 300
Let cook for an hour, check to make sure it's not boiling, just a simmer is what you're aiming for
Check on it every hour or so and stir
After approx 3.5 to 4 hours, you will want to add more Stalk and a little water.
Meat temp should get to 210 and it will fall apart with just a spoon.
Add flour to thicken, if you want, and enjoy.

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Sounds almost identical to the long-standing and 'famous' pot roast recipe on the old forum site for several years that was posted by Grandpas Grub.
    I know because I cooked his recipe Sunday AND gave him credit (even in the title) in my post 'over there'.
    Credit should be given.

Just sayin'"................

Clark
    Madison, MS
  • Misippi Egger - I'm all about giving credit to someone but the recipe/concept was given to me by a neighbor who didn't pass that info on..It was a typed on a piece of paper, similar to what I wrote in this post but not verbatim as I changed it up a bit. Look at my other posts and you will see I absolutely name someone if I used their recipe. Aka Car wash Mike recently..

I just searched for Grandpas Grub in the forum here to no avail did I find a DO Pot Rost recipe? If you google Pot Roast, there are many, many pot roast recipes with these ingredients and reference to use a DO..If I used someone's recipe (?) then sorry for not naming a person...
  • Misippi Egger
    I saw where you gave CWM credit, so I was surprised at this post. It is so similar to the original post by Grandpas Grub, even the detail about the sugar/garlic cooking, which I had not seen before.
    Here is the link to his post:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=473938

BTW, isn't it a great cook?

Clark
    Madison, MS

Sent from my iPad
  • It was a great cook and an in-expensive one at that.. First use of my DO and I see much potential. Next time I am going to omit using wood as the smoke flavor seemed to get stronger, almost too strong, with the left overs.

Once it cools down here in the desert and football season gets moving, DO BGE Chili is my next challenge..

I looked at your post and it looks almost verbatim to what my neighbor gave me. I will "interview" my neighbor and find his source. His recipe is similar to Grandpa's Grub, he may have copied it. Not sure. He cooks on a "red" egg so no telling.. Aka the knock off from BBQ Galore.
  • Misippi Egger
    Ha! You can NEVER trust a guy who cooks on a Red Egg ! :-))
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I don't mean to discredit anybody's claim to being the originator of the recipe, but it is essentially the same ingredients that are found in every recipe for a pot roast.

And, the tweaking may be micromanaged too.  A pot roast should be braised to seal in the moisture, then have the veggies and stock (not stalk) added.  Close the lid and let it cook.

The only thing I find missing in the recipe is red wine to deglaze the braised roast after braising. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Misippi Egger
    VI,

Look back and more carefully read Arizona's last post. Even some of the details and techniques were almost verbatim btwn his neighbor's written recipe and GG's previously posted one. It wasn't an exact copy, but closer than meer coincidence would allow.

I looked at several pot roast recipes over the weekend before deciding on GG's for my Sunday cook, and I realize there are many similarities in all the recipes, but they all had a few clear differences. This one was just too close and I thought GG should have the credit, as I did when I posted my cook.

I think Arizona and I are still friends. ;-)

Clark
    Madison, MS
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Clark,

I guess I don't follow recipes to the letter, so if there are some nuances that would make this one a lot better, I'm sure I missed it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Thanks for the comments guys..

Suggestions on a killer DO/BGE Chili?