Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple-Bourbon Ham

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited November -1 in Pork

Ingredients

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
Cherry and Apple Chunks

Maple-Bourbon Paste
2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
1 Tbls. Bourbon
1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
1 Tbls. Paprika
1 Tbls. Onion Powder
2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Instructions

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it). Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).

Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid.

Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Notes

If cooking a large ham, or, two or more butts or shanks you can omit the raised grid if you're experiencing a "fit" problem and just cook on the regular grid.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments

• Gonna try this on laborday thanks for posting the recipe.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    man that is some tastey stuff!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Going onto the BGE right now...can't wait.
  • It all went as planned...around the 4th hour I cranked the heat to put a crust on....andddd....replaced the drip pan with a tray of scalloped au gratin potatoes to cook.  The heat from the plate setter evenly cooked a crispy bottom, while the drippings, smoke and heat from up top made the scalloped potatoes a golden hammy treat.  Photos coming soon.

Amazing recipe!  Nothing left!

• Note - this was a raw ham to begin with, so I needed to cook to 160F to get it truly cooked.  Amazing result.  Great recipe.
  • I think I'm going to do this for Christmas with my in-laws. They want me to bring a meat and I figured I ham would be great. Question though, once this is cooked, does it need to be served hot, or can it be done the day before, then served the next day? If so, how do you recommend re-heating it without an egg? Or should it be served cold? 

Ideally I'm going to cook it and when it's done wrap it in foil and cooler it for an hour and a half or so while we drive up to their house. If I can't swing that, then one of the above options will have to do.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have served it hot, cold and room temp. It's good no matter what. Save the juice in the pan, degrease it, and reduce on the stove. Serve on the side. Yummmmmm.............
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    There is no bad temp for ham ....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • jaik
    jaik Posts: 1

I made this ham to go along with the turkey for thanksgiving dinner, absolutely incredible. I'm new to the BGE and have had some failures, this ham recipe restored my faith :-). I used a 14lb cured ham and smoked it for 4 hours the day after applying the injection and rub. The ham was eaten down to the bone, completely gone.

Thanks for the recipe, best ham I've ever had!

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168

I made this ham to go along with the turkey for thanksgiving dinner, absolutely incredible. I'm new to the BGE and have had some failures, this ham recipe restored my faith :-). I used a 14lb cured ham and smoked it for 4 hours the day after applying the injection and rub. The ham was eaten down to the bone, completely gone.

Thanks for the recipe, best ham I've ever had!

I'm glad it turned out so well. I did two of them yesterday :
  • The big bone in hams I see at my local grocery store are all "ready to eat" and they are all already smoked. Is this what you guys are using, or a straight up raw ham? Can't wait to make this for the family!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Already smoked and cured ham.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • canoeandcue
    canoeandcue Posts: 41
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like a great recipie I would like to try. I am glad jaik is encouraged. Pure maple syrup is a great ingredient. IMO. the use of the pure stuff (not the log cabin type chemical stuff) It really does make a big difference. Makers Mark is a great burbon that tastes great even before you start cooking.
  • Yep .. I too will be doing this recipe for Christmas....sounds great!
    BOOMER!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

I hope to do one for Christmas as well. I will need to be up at 5:00 AM to have it ready by when we eat. Can I make it the day before, chill overnight and re-heat in my oven the next day? Will it be okay tasting or just as good as off the egg?

Thanks 

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    The big bone in hams I see at my local grocery store are all "ready to eat" and they are all already smoked. Is this what you guys are using, or a straight up raw ham? Can't wait to make this for the family!
    A ham is already smoked and cured by definition. There is no such thing as a raw ham. What you are refering to would be called a fresh leg of pork.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • bigguy136

Thought I would try one just because. Here are the first images of when I just put the rub on and then on the grillimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136

And the finish. About 5 1/2 hours and added the scalloped au gratin potatoes as ham and egg said. Life is good....image

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Squeezy
    The big bone in hams I see at my local grocery store are all "ready to eat" and they are all already smoked. Is this what you guys are using, or a straight up raw ham? Can't wait to make this for the family!
    A ham is already smoked and cured by definition. There is no such thing as a raw ham. What you are refering to would be called a fresh leg of pork.

Raw ham is actually called fresh ham to differentiate it from cured hams.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Yep. 'ham' can be the cut, or the smoked/cured end product

I try to stay away from calling the raw uncured cut a 'ham' though, because it always requires clearing up anyway with "you know, an uncured pork leg roast" or "green ham" ('green' meaning 'uncured')

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Squeezy
    Should not be a problem as long as the adjective "fresh" is used to describe the ham.
  • stike
    you would think.  not in my experience.

• Squeezy
    you would think.  not in my experience.

Why is that?
  • stike
    full circle...
    as billy ray implied, 'ham' is a loaded word.  frankly, most folks (including me, before i started curing) don't think beyond the word 'ham'.  a ham for the vast majority (especially further north we go) seems to be a cooked smoked thing you buy at a grocery store.

i'd be willing to bet if you walked into a grocery store and asked for a fresh ham, the question would revolve around whether you meant frozen or thawed, or cooked/uncooked.  but the assumption would be you mean something cured and smoked, not a pork leg.

• Squeezy
    I will test your theory ... I will ask for a fresh ham and see what they say. I think that I will be told that they don't have any instead. Usually in early spring they get whole fresh hams targeted at the sausage enthusists for about 99¢ lb.
  • stike
    it's not a theory.  it's a hypothesis.

i'm talking about where i live, also.  i understand that there are places where terms are understood more than it might be somewhere else.  if i ask for "canadian bacon", i'll be pointed to the right spot, for example.  i'm sure you'd get an odd stare. 
  • Great stuff so far - I too am looking to do this sometime soon, thanks for all those who have pitched in their two cents!

My question is : Is the raised grid pivotal? I don't have one yet, and I would just use the standard grid on top of the plate setter. Probably a drip pan underneath the grid as well. I'm assuming the flat part of the ham goes down on the grid?

Thanks again for all the help!

• bigguy136

If you have a drip pan, you are good. Just pick up a foil turkey pan and mold it into shape below your grid.

I just finished my ham from the weekend cook. My co-workers are taking a collection and getting another ham for me to do this weekend. It was better than any ham they ever had.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Do i have to have a raised grid? I was going to put on a ten pounder over a plate setter for five hours. Now, i think that may be too much and dont know how the grid affects things. Also, should i use a drip pan? With all that syrup, seems like a good idea.
  • curious as to what type of wood did you use for the ham.