Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Blowout ?

Toz
Toz Posts: 14
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Blew my gaskets on 2 month old egg doing 1st pizza.
Found this by Hi-Que, anyone have any feedback?
Nomex High Heat Gasket with Adhesive Upgrade Kit for Large Big Green Egg GrillSize: Large Big Green EggManufacturer Part Number: HQNXBGELUPC: 738435247508Price:$33.88

HIGH-QUE HAS THE ANSWER

We've developed the perfect solution to your grilling needs with our "Smarter High Heat Replacement Gasket Kits". Because our gaskets last longer than wool and outperform them in every other respect, there's no reason to go back to the old way.

Our "Smarter High Heat Replacement Gasket Kit" is the only high heat replacement gasket that includes a high-temperature adhesive strip! That's what makes them so much smarter.

Comments

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    If it's the white BGE replacement gasket, I like mine a lot.  Make sure you have a TOTAL seal when you install.  If you have a crack through which heat escapes it will blast your gasket to hell - kinda like a dam with a finger hole.
  • I haven't heard any feedback on that gasket. I went with a Rutland. Check out @TheNakedWhiz site for info on different gasket ideas. www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited August 2011

@Toz

It's a quality product.

Most popular reasons for Gasket failure are weak adhesive and bad assembly of Egg bands/hinge.IMO

Just make a
    sound installation. I would suggest keeping the temps under 450 for several
    cooks (4-5) to help season the new adhesive. Also check the seal on your Egg,
    to make sure you have a good install on the Egg bands/hinge.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    edited August 2011
    Mine was damaged after a T-Rex Steak, and the 8 pizza in a row session didn't get it better...

Time for some Nomex...
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    I wouldnt change the gasket. I have a large and small and the small hasnt had a gasket in years.
  • GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    High-que gasket is great.   Also BGE will send you a Nomex gasket if you call and request it.  The difference being the high-que gasket has a adhesive backing that does not require 3M-77.

Either solution is going to require you scraping the older glue material off on the lid and base.

If you opt to not replace the gasket be very careful when you are closing the lid - if you let it slip and there is no gasket it might crack.

• @Toz - I've heard that the folks who have the High-Que gasket like it a lot & it works as advertised. Only negative feedback I've heard is that it's a bit on the pricey side.

Another option some folks use (and this is what I think I'm gonna do once I get around to it) is to completely forego a fabric gasket altogether & just use Permatex Ultra Copper by itself as the gasket:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81878-Sensor-Ultra-Copper/dp/B0002UEOPA

There have been several folks who have done this, and a few different ways. Easiest I've seen is to just "glop" (that's the technical term) the stuff around the rim, and then place wax paper over it, and slowly / gently close your lid & allow the weight of the dome to compress it. Then, after it cures, take a razor knife & trim the excess off.

There has been at least one person who has used a router & a sheet of plywood to cut a circular "template" mold that is the same radius & width as the area where the gasket goes & then spread the Permatex into the mold, allow it to cure, then just "peel" it out, and then adhere that to the lid (using the same Permatex, or 3M Super 77 Adhesive).

FWIW, I think the traditional felt gaskets that the older Eggs had in them were CRAP (let's see if the company forum allows me to say that - hehehe). However, I have heard that the new Eggs are shipping w/ the "high temp" gaskets.

Anyway, hope this helps!
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • QUOTE-However, I have heard that the new Eggs are shipping w/ the "high temp" gaskets

I haven't heard this, nor have a seen a new Egg come in with them as of yet.

Where did you hear this info? 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Gaskets are over rated.

Although if BGE thinks there should be one within the design, then they should make sure that eggs are delivered with a quality gasket.

Michael
  • QUOTE-However, I have heard that the new Eggs are shipping w/ the "high temp" gaskets

I haven't heard this, nor have a seen a new Egg come in with them as of yet.

Where did you hear this info? 

@Smitty - Upon going back & re-reading some of the old discussions, it appears that I was mistaken - the new Eggs, as I'm sure you're well aware, are being shipped w/ the new grates & new hinges, but the "high temp" (read: Nomex) gaskets are being offered as replacements. I guess a few folks have called the Mothership & complained when the crappy felt gaskets have burned up, and the Mothership has replaced them.

Sorry for the confusion...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee