Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best and Worst Eggccessory

2»

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Best- Spider/Adj rig /Woo ring with indirect piece, welder's gloves, LawnRanger grid lifter and wiggle rod, BBQ Guru, hand held MAPP torch and a Thermopen. I also use a no-name cheap perforated grill wok quite a bit.

Worst (well, least used) Turbo grate.
  • pmnhsn5
    pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
    I really need a new pair of welders gloves, where is a good internet site to get some?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I haven't tried them but I am going to get a pair of zetex gloves. Most pairs are rated at atleast 1100 degrees and I have found some rated to 1600 degrees. Looks like most are $40-$60.
  • My first egg came with a platesetter, and although it provided some good use, I havent really used it since I spent a bunch of money at the ceramicgrillstore.com. I have the adjustable rig and woo3 for my large, and a woo for my medium. There are many cheaper ways to built a raised and multiple grid setup. But just like cooking, I dont need my egg to bbq, but I really like having it.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Best: BGE Plate setter; BGE Pizza Stone, BGE Dutch Oven, use them all the time.

BGE steak Buttons - can't get them to work properly, makes great ornaments, not disappointed, as I will eventually buy all things BGE anyway.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1133949/bge-steak-buttons#Item_1

Spider and Wok will be ordered later this year.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Speaking of accessories...I was perusing CGS and saw this special:

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/toolbox-accessory-special/

That is alot of good stuff for $40.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Best: besides the plate setter, I like my spatula from Pampered Chef. It even has a bottle opener. No hair burned off my fingers since!

• Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    This thing is pretty cool...I purchased this when I purchased my large egg. imageimage

Do you have any issues with tipping when the top is loaded and you flip it out.  If not I want one.

• Woo3, thermapen, remote thermometer, platesetter, no matter what they say the BGE version has alot of coverage thus a larger area protecting the larger cuts...and holding a larger drip pan.
  • This thing is pretty cool...I purchased this when I purchased my large egg.

Just curious what is this?

It tips, but but enough to be concerned about, after a couple uses you remember to keep a small bit of food on the bottom as a counter weight.  It's really nice to use and the up and down feature on the upper rack is really helpful also.  Again the tip is so minor and the more you use it you"ll get used to it also.  

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    I like the thermapen, gloves, map torch, plate setter, v-rack, pizza stone with copper pipe for spacers, CI grill  (all for different things, but in that order).  I have a dutch oven but haven;t used it yet.

I hate the 3 tier stacker - in order to fit it in my large, I have to remove the plate setter which mean I always have to cook direct and it makes it almost impossible to get at the bottom grill.  I wouldn't mind that so much if could do an indirect cook + the 3 tier stacker. (I've never tried removing the fire ring using the plate setter and 3 tier stacker - I'm sure it fits but it would certainly be a pain to use / access grid # 1 or # 2)  

*considering you can do the same with some bolts, washers, nuts and grills, the 3 tier stacker was a waste of money.

I've never used but would be very interested in a woo, spider, adjustable rig.

Michael
  • Best - adjustable rig/spider/stone combo - I've had it just a few weeks and now it's indispensable.

Worst - BGE grill extender - used it once, didn't like it, probably never use it again.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    My most personal worst eggcessorie is by far the Fire Wires.  Man I bought some of those and I don't use them at all.  In fact when I have I find them clumsy.  Now technically it is not a BGE product but they are terrible.  In fact as kind of a cruel joke, I usually win more of them when I go to eggfests.  Me and my wife laugh our as**s off every time I am awarded more.  Kinda weird.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    thanks for all the postive feedback on the CGS stuff.  tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    For sure Tom your products are awesome!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • One that I was surprised by was the BGE grid cleaner.  Seems too simple/expensive, but it works great on a warm grill.  It's way better than constantly replacing brass wire or other rusting grill cleaner apparatus.  There might be a cheaper alternative but the BGE one is a high quality one-time buy.

I stick with the wax/sawdust square firestarters.  The BGE brand is pricey, go for the Rutland there.

I agree with all the enthusiasm about the Thermapen for entree cooks (and wireless Maverick for slow and low's).

Bang for the buck--  those drumstick racks at Lowes are AWESOME for drumsticks or wings.  Makes it a breeze.

• Best - Nest Handler

Most used - Welders slag hammer with replaceable brush ( Cleans, spins, lifts )

Worst - a ceramic chicken stand.  Can't beat the ol' beer can for this.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Forgot about some of those...

I too have fire wires and one of those fancy vertical chicken stands - BOTH of which I've never used.  

and 

I agree with Buckwoody on the drumstick racks - I use them a lot and I love the way they crisp
    up the drumsticks.

I feel like I'm on one of those shows (hoarders) - BBQ hoarder starts selling on Craigslist. ha ha!

Michael
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Best - Thermapen, Mapptorch

Worst - Charcoal chimney starter (not so much bad, as just useless)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    #1:Thermopen
    #2 Rutland gasket
    #3 Plate Setter
    #4 ET-73 (old-timer) / ET-732
    #5 BBQ gloves (handling meat)
    #6 Electric lump starter (yeah, that's right!)
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    I got my Egg for Christmas and am having a blast learning to use it. I got an XL with the cast iron grates and a plate setter. I've been looking at the Woo2 setup online and it seems like it might be a cost effective way to offset cook. (Stone below and grill at the felt line). 
    I light my charcoal with a Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch. Quick and efficient.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Least favorite: sittin' chicken ceramic roaster.  After discovering spatchcock chicken on this site, I haven't looked back.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Best: plate setter, welding gloves, CI grate, pizza stone, digi Q, thermapen Least :
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    BigBadger said:

Best - Thermapen, Mapptorch

Worst - Charcoal chimney starter (not so much bad, as just useless)

I actually like a chimney starter. Just bought the new Weber compact one since I always felt the bigger one was unwieldy.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    must haves, beer!!and plenty of it!!!!and good cuts of meat!!!+20 degree weather!!!!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

Must haves:

Lump charcoal

Fire

Meat

and an adult beverage is plus

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Least for me is Looftlighter and the original BGE gasket.