Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 pound pork butt help 1st timer here

beefburner
beefburner Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hello everyone!!

I know I am going to get TONS of replies to this, but please keep it simple for me.  I am about to try for the first time doing an 8 pound bone in pork butt.  How long and at what temp should I cook this at? 

I'd like to eat it sometime between 5-6pm.  I've got my rub and egg set, just not sure of the cooking time.  I've read everything from 1-2 hours per pound.

Thanks in advance for all the advice and help!!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

My experience after years of the water/gasser smoker is to count on around 2.1 hours/lb with a calibrated 250*F dome temp to a finish temp of 195-200*F. Plan on this time and also set up to finish early and double wrap in HDAF with some warmed apple juice and put in a cooler stuffed with towels where it will hold for 3-4 hours easily.  Then open her up , let the juices redistribute for around 20-30 mins and pull. Turns out great-

Good Luck!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    I have done several butts of that size. Most of mine have taken 9 to 11 hours at a calibrated dome temp of 225. I normally allow for extra time becuase once done it will stay hot for several hours. Just double wrap in HDAF, then a large towel and place in a cooler.Pull the butt of at 190 to 195.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I've found that keeping the egg at 225 is a little difficult to do. They seem to like 250-275 much better. The extra 25-50 degrees won't hurt anything, it might help it get done a little quicker. I would figure around 12 hours for the cook. Like brisket30 stated, you can wrap in foil and put in a cooler and it will stay hot for hours.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    If you try to hold 225 your asking for trouble. I cant tell you how many people I've seen post about "my fire going out" and the first question to get asked was what temp were you holding. 90% of the time it's people trying to cook under 250. Do yourself a favor, and run a min 250 dome always on your low and slows. 1.5 to 2.0 hours per pound will get you in a 4 hour window. Remember, Getting it done a few hours early will not hurt you at all. Double wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in a cooler covered in towels, and it will saty hot up to 4 to 5 hours. So error on the early side and dont be trying to get it done at the last minute. Good luck!
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    250-260* dome will usually give you about 225* at the grid level.  Rolling Egg is RIGHT ON about the number of people who post about their fires going out. Don't want to ruin a good piece of pork!
  • Thank you all for the great tips and advice.  I have learned a big one here...I tried this before and was trying to keep the fire to about 225, and I played hell trying to keep it lit.  I will try the 250 this time and see what happens.

Thank you all again.  If it turns out, I will post pics.

• boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited December 2011